leash training my cat? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

leash training my cat?

hello, i wanted to take my cat for a walk (read it was possible)

so i decided to try putting a harness on my cat, she wriggled a little but didnt really fight it, and seemed to ignore it when it was on.. she practically just pretended it wasnt on

so i took her outside with the leash on her harness and she never fought it, she didnt even try to take it off once (indoors or outdoors), she didnt tug at it and she just slowly walked around, but we had to follow her, we couldnt get her to follow us and she just sort of sniffed around and explored. after about 10 minutes she slowly made her way back up the stairs, i followed her and she went to our door, i opened it and she walked right back in. lol

interesting experience... especially since she is so obsessive about getting out (even 10 minutes after she walked outside we tentatively opened the door and from across the room she immediately perked up and got ready to run for the door again lol

anyway, is there a way to make her follow me instead of leading? since she doesn't tug i dont know what to do (i would just camp her out if she did until she gave up) but she also won't respond to me leading (not tugging her but walking off until the leash gets to the point of not giving her slack)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 08:40 AM
Cat Addict

Heh, walking cats is a heck of a lot different than walking dogs. You walk the dog...the cat walks you. When I go outside with either Samantha or Alice on the leash and harness, I usually just follow them and let them explore as they like. We never really go further than the backyard of our apartment complex, because all they want to do is check everything out. It's not really a 'walk' per say, but a small stroll.

As for getting them to follow you when you want, I've found thats dependent on the cat. Feisty little Alice refuses to take any commands, and just does her own thing...she's excellent on her leash and just wants to explore, so I just follow and let her be. Samantha is so attached to me in everything she does, and she usually follows me and listens to my commands anyways, so most times she just walks quietly beside me and I can sorta lead her where I want us to go, if I so choose.

Sammy and I also go to Petco or Petsmart sometimes and she walks excellently there. I get constant comments about how well she walks, just like a little dog.

All in all, I think it has a lot to do with the individual cat...their relationship with you, their personality, and behavior. Also keep in mind you just started taking her out...new things are always so interesting to our kitties so she may not want to listen to you or follow you simply because it's new. Good luck with future outside excursions!

Last edited by Time Bandit; 03-02-2011 at 08:43 AM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 02:38 PM
Premier Cat

I think this is a pretty unusual cat, but just goes to show how trainablesome cat can be---even off leash! Wonder what happens if a dog happens along?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 03:11 PM
Tom Cat

Casie had always been an escape artist, so in October we had gotten her a harness and a leash so I could walk her. She was too fat for the harness, so we got a collar(I never pulled though). And I'd just let her go where she wanted outside and maybe carry her somewhere so she could see how cool it was. But then I realized, after being inside for 12 years she would just wander and never leave sight of the house. She also would sometimes follow us in the woods, but never went far.

So obviously I wanted to do the same with Cherry. She doesn't enjoy the harness much, but she doesn't fight it. We've only gone on our upper deck, where once she won't jump from it, she'll be allowed out on whenever like Casie was. When the snow and mud are gone I may take her around the fields and in the woods, and maybe on hikes!

But if your cat enjoys being on walks and such, I'd say just continue what you're doing! She may just need to be used to being outside. It's a big thing for them.

"Dogs have Masters. Cats have staff." - Unknown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 04:59 PM
Cat Addict

Haha, wow... I loved that video. Cats really do what they want, and it does really depend on their personality. I've never leash trained a cat, the few times I tried in the past I was taking my cat for a drag instead and gave up quickly.

My cat Blacky loves following us on walks - she'll cry at the door at night if she's left behind when we walk. She used to like going for walks during the day as well but now she's happier waiting for us to return while waiting in the driveway, I guess she feels safer walking at night. She's gone for 15 minute walks with us, although it's somewhat annoying when she does, as it results in us needing to keep turning around and make sure she's still there. And when dogs appear she keeps her distance. And when cars appear she vanishes for a few minutes, only to reappear like she was never gone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
and
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 05:26 PM
Premier Cat

Is it just me or is there something odd about the way that cat carries herself in that video? Her back seems unusually arched up and her tail carries kind of strange...
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 05:36 PM
Cat Addict

I thought the cat was swaying side to side strangely at first but then dismissed it as it walking swanky along. When the cat is walking slowly it seems fine, are you talking about the arch in its back as it runs fast? When cats really run they're like a Cheeta the way their body arches...

Along with the dogs
and
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 08:28 PM
Cat Addict

I was going to say count your blessings. Your doing great so far! Just let her explore and lead you. Eventually, you might get her to follow you sometimes.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 09:05 PM
Cat

My cat does the same thing on the harness. We only take her in the backyard (too many stray dogs in my neighborhood), but if we walk out there long enough, eventually she'll just lay down in the grass.

I think if you really want her to walk by your side, you could probably train it like you train a dog loose leash. Basically have really high value treats that she will pay attention to (over exploring) and get her used to receiving a treat for staying at your side. You can lure her with the food to start out.

Nom de bloom.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 09:34 PM
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowMow View Post
Is it just me or is there something odd about the way that cat carries herself in that video? Her back seems unusually arched up and her tail carries kind of strange...

I noticed that as well. She did not walk properly at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page