So Many Accidents... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

So Many Accidents...

I have a 19 year old female cat Marilyn, who, because of her bad legs, finds it difficult getting out of the catflap now, so we put a litter tray inside for her.
She sometimes seems to have difficulty peeing (she still poos outside) because she'll squat over the tray and nothing will happen. Then she search all around the house meowing loudly and trying to pee in the wrong places, but still nothing coming out. We let her out the front, and she'll stay outside for a bit, then come back in and do the whole thing again, though she sometimes pees on the carpet once she comes back in.
Last night she was peeing all over the house, in every place except the litter tray. She couldn't seem to do anything in there, but she could on the carpet. My dad was getting very angry with her, and I got sad beacause she really can't help it; she's so old.
Marilyn also has hyperthyroidism and is deaf as a post. Is there anything I can do to help her?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 12:16 PM
Jr. Cat

It sounds like she might have a urinary tract infection. I'd say it's likely time for a vet visit.

Proudly Owned by:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 12:21 PM
Tom Cat

I remember you posting about Marilyn's urinary problems not long ago. Are your parents unable to take her to the vet? Cats don't go around the place peeing, it's a sign of something wrong, and your father needs to take that into consideration if he would like to properly fix the problem. I don't know if he is yelling at her or anything like that, but if he is that will only increase her anxiety (especially if she is ill) and she may pee more.

I hope others will have some wonderful advice on what you can do to help make Marilyn more comfortable. She does, however, very much need to go to the vet. There is a very strong possibility that she is in pain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 12:22 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to my5kitties
If she's peeing everywhere but the litter box, she has a Urinary Tract Infection. She needs to be seen by a vet immediately. She's associating the litter box as being painful, so that's why she's not peeing in it. Once you've gotten the cause taken care of, you'll need to get an enzymatic cleaner (Nature's Miracle) and use that to clean all the places that your cat has peed. You're going to have to really soak it, since cat urine has a strong smell, and if a cat can still smell it, they'll pee there again.

Let us know how Marilyn is doing.

----------
Renée
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page