best form of discipline? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

best form of discipline?

I dont have my cat yet, researching so I can be a good cat mommy. When I grew up my mom had a water bottle handy in every room so that if the kitties were being naughty she would say HEY! really loud and squirt them. The cat would jump all startled and run off like its running for its life. Then avoid her for several hours.
I am not sure I want to use this method. I am getting a toyger, and heard that they like water, even could be trained to swim. Also I am going to try to bath him on occasion and I dont want it to be a miserable experience. So I dont want him to associate water in a negative way.
What do you all do to show your kitties that their bad behavior is bad? I know of course that each situation is different and that cats respond well to praise. For instance, I know that to keep them from scratching my furniture, I should give him his own furniture to stratch and encourage him/ praise him for using it. But sometimes, they do naughty things, and I want to know the best method to show them they are being naughty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 02:54 PM
Premier Cat

I'm lucky in that it's unusual for my girls to do anything that I would consider "naughty". Once a month they might jump on the counter, whereupon I just say "Abby, down". They never scratch furniture and the like. The only time I need to stop them from doing something is when one plays too rough with the other, whereupon I shake a can half-filled with coins and they separate because they don't like the noise. But I don't let them see that it's me shaking the can.

Regardless of what you use (coin can, spray bottle), it's important that they don't see it coming from you. They need to learn to associate their "naughty" action with the loud noise (or spray, etc.). For example, they need to think "jumping on the counter causes a loud noise". If they know you're the source of the noise/water, they will know they can't be naughty when you're around, but it's ok to be naughty when you're not home or sleeping!
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Very insightful! That explains alot. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 03:27 PM
Cat Addict

Don't displine a cat. They're not dogs. They don't understand it and will just fear you for it

The last time people tried to elimate free roaming cats it resulted in The Black Plague.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 03:35 PM
Tom Cat

Just my personal opinion, I am not a fan of spray bottles and whatnot (with the rare exception). Cat's generally do naughty behaviors because it is fun and pleasurable (and in a lot of cases cause they are bored)! So naturally if you don't want them to do something like scratching the furniture you need to make this not a fun thing for them to do. Double sided tape for example. I have seen numerous cases where the cats associate punishment with the person and not with what they are doing, which makes sense. They are on the counter all happy, then you come around the corner and bam they get wet. They are going to realize that every time you show up when they are on the counter they get wet even if they don't see you with the bottle. Especially since there will be times that they are on the counter, but you aren't there and they never get wet. It is just natural the water will be associated with you. But they like being on the counter, so what will they do? They will be on the counter when you are not around, or worse refuse to be around you whenever you are in the kitchen because they perceive you as punishing in that room. You don't want to create a negative association with yourself. But if you make the counter not fun, like temporarily putting down double sided tape, the cat will quickly think hey being up here is not that nice at all and naturally will give up. It makes it the counter unpleasant in itself and every time, instead of you being unpleasant when you happen to be there.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 03:41 PM
Cat Addict

Yeah, what she said

The last time people tried to elimate free roaming cats it resulted in The Black Plague.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 04:41 PM
Premier Cat

Cats are a lot like 2 year olds in a lot of ways. Active and mischievous and want mommy's attention. If I'm on the telephone my girl will deliberately stand on her hind legs and start pawing at an oil painting (she never pays it any mind otherwise) that on the wall behind the sofa I'm sitting on. Another one she will do if I'm on the phone is start pushing papers, pencils, pens, off the desk onto the floor. Normally, she doesn't do that other times. In a meeting, especially if I'm doing the talking she will stand on her hind legs and bat at a lampshade, or get inside it and scratch on it. So what do I do? If I'm on the phone sometimes I have to interrupt the caller and pick her up and put her on my lap (just what she wants anyway! (lol) or even put her outside the room and close the door (that's when I'm really p.o'd). At a meeting sometimes a "No!" is sufficient. As I said, like a 2 y.o. who often do things when mom is engaged in something else, but want attention!
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 04:44 PM
Cat

When Mena was alive she would jump up on the kitchen counter. If she heard me coming she would get out of there fast. If I catch her she would freeze for a minute and then do the same.

Otherwise a sharp loud NO! usually gets the message across.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 05:04 PM
Cat Addict

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 05:07 PM
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_ph View Post
lol!!!!

Last edited by Digikid; 03-02-2011 at 05:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page