Very strange behavior - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Very strange behavior

Hello all, my one year old male cat Gabriel occasionally does something very odd when playing and it's something I've never come across before with a cat. When he has the crazies, pupils dilated, full blown sprinting around, etc. occasionally he'll hiss then do something like panting but it's louder for 3 or 4 seconds then his breathing is completely normal. I don't think it's actual panting because of the short duration and the fact that he doesn't bother to rest during or after it. I'm a bit concerned about it even though it's only an occasional behavior and doesn't appear to be causing any distress or anything simply because I've never encountered another cat that does this nor have heard of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 11:37 PM
Premier Cat

Gabe is simply oxygenating himself for another round of The Crazies! (our Pretty does that all the time and I've seen a few of our other cats do it every once-in-a-while)

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 01:52 AM
Tom Cat

I agree with Heidi When my cats do this I always laugh and call it going into 'hunter mode', usually because they get hit with the crazies when they are hunting a toy or something wiggly suddenly comes into view. They are in their ultimate play state of mind. It is soooo cute!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 02:13 AM
Jr. Cat

I agree with the other two posters. Nothing to worry about Cats do strange things when they are in their kitty-fit moods. One of my male cats would do the same type of thing when he got a new toy that he really liked. He'd play frantically with it for a while (occasionally hissing at it) and then pant like that for a few seconds, and go back to playing with it.

Sounds like your cat is having a blast playing
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Ah, good to know, thank you all for replying. Balor never did this, and I couldn't remember any of the cats from my childhood doing this either, so when I noticed Gabriel doing it I was a little worried about it, and yeah, he does seem to be having a blast, he likes to run down the sides of my bed when he's like that.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 10:50 AM
Senior Cat

Tammy does that! Just super excited and needing a bit more air.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 11:24 AM
Cat Addict

Yup! agreed Nothing to worry about.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 12:45 PM
Cat

My cat does that too. Its almost like a hiss without any sound coming out. Then a few seconds later he is back to playing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page