Hurt my cat on accident and now she's scared - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Unhappy Hurt my cat on accident and now she's scared

Earlier I was playing with the kitties with one of those toys that you swing around on a plastic wand, and I accidentally hit my cat Lilith in the face with it. She ran away and acted scared at first but then calmed down. Now hours later, she went over to the toy like she wanted to play with it but when I picked it up she ran away again. I feel so bad, she won't even let me come near her again. And that was one of her favorite toys too. What should I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 02:35 AM
Cat

We as parents (even kitty parents) make mistakes, it's okay, it happens.
Maybe whenever she's eating, you can crouch beside her, and pet her?
That usually works, especially if they're too hungry to leave their bowl!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 02:39 AM
Tom Cat

Just give her some time and she will come around. Maybe just leave the wand on the ground and ignore it, this gives her an opportunity when she is ready to come sniff at it and get comfortable with it again without it moving which could bring back a bit of wariness.

I understand the feeling of guilt. The other night I was walking through the house in the dark. I full out stepped on little Autumn's tail. She cried out in pain and scampered off. Then she followed me around for the next hour, licking me and trying so hard to cuddle, like she thought I hurt her for being bad and she was the one apologizing

This made me feel worse, I think I would have rather had her ignore me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 03:07 AM
Tom Cat

Awww, I hate that! I stepped on Lily's food tonight by accident (at least I wasn't wearing shoes..), and she yelped out in pain.

She will come around, though. Cats are very forgiving, it seems...they know who loves them and takes care of them. And I agree about leaving it out for her to sniff.

Spencer and Katie
and Lily, always in our hearts
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 07:51 AM
Premier Cat

I agree...she'll come around. It will just take a bit of time. I wouldn't try to play with that toy for now. You could put it away for about a month and bring it out again later, whereupon she will likely have forgotten it. Or, as Nicole says, just leave it lying out and let her investigate it.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 08:03 AM
Cool Cat

Ohhh I hate when that happens --- looks like you got some good advice on how to handle it!
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 02:01 PM
Cat Addict

She knows it was an accident. She's just playing you for treats. They do guilt better than a Jewish mom

The last time people tried to elimate free roaming cats it resulted in The Black Plague.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Good news, last night she seemed to be extra cuddly just for that. Normally she dislikes being held but she let me hold her and even purred while I did, then slept against me on my bed like she normally does. I'm so happy... but I don't know if she's still scared of that toy or not.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 02:50 PM
Cat

I had a friend come stay with me. He played with my two cats with the wand toy.

When he left, my female cat would run away terrified every time I tried to play with her with the wand. She had previously loved it. My friend couldn't think of what may have happened and it took a year and a half before she would play with it again. Now everything is back to normal. Man, I thought she'd never come around.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 02:52 PM
Cool Cat

If it makes you feel better, just think of what I did to Fergie last summer - I shut her EAR in a window! She jumped up on the sill just as I was shutting the window and her ear got caught. She held still just long enough for me to open it again and then took off, wouldn't let anyone near her for an hour to check on her ear (it was fine) and wouldn't come anywhere near me for a whole day. For weeks after, if she was in the window and we came near she would hop down and run away, but eventually she realized that we really weren't trying to kill her.

Fortunately with cat toys, there's always something else they'll play with, and if you put this one away for a while when you take it back out again it'll be new and exciting! You could also see if she'll play with it with someone else - my nephew tries to hit Fergie with one of her favorite toys so she'll run away if she sees him holding it but she's right there playing if it's me or my hubby.

~Diana, happy mom to Fern and Fergie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page