Cat does not meow? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Cat does not meow?

I am just full of newbie questions today!

I was wondering if a kitten unable to meow is an 'issue.' My 7month old kitten has always meowed, loudly. My 5 month old cannot meow very well, it is very whispery and high pitched, barely audible. Is this normal or may he have some problem? I am probably being overprotective
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 07:55 PM
Cat

many cats don't meow. the feral that i am socializing didn't make any sound at all for probably 2 months after i tnr'd her. now, a couple of months later all she does is make this high pitched yet very quiet meow when she wants food. unless your vet finds something wrong with him/her don't worry about it.

"In studying the traits and dispositions of the so-called lower animals, and contrasting them with man's, I find the result humiliating to me."
--Mark Twain
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 07:58 PM
Cat

Several cats aren't vocal -- it actually ranges from breed to breed.

If you're that concerned, you could take it in for a check up, but I highly doubt that it's anything to worry about!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 08:10 PM
Premier Cat

Muffs is the same way. She rarely meows, and when she does she sounds like a cat with laryngitis! Like you I was worried, and so I asked my vet when I took her in for her shots (this was some time ago, when she was about 4 months old). He said not to worry, some cats just have funny meows.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 08:12 PM
Cool Cat

Athena's meow sounds exactly like you describe. She rarely does, and when she does it's usually pretty faint and hoarse.

As she got older she managed to meow louder here and there. I don't know if that's a learned behavior from Apollo or something else. But yeah, I wouldn't worry. Some cats are just silent meowers.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 09:10 PM
Cat

My gal's meow is tiny and kind of gargly, I wouldn't even know it was a meow if I wasn't looking at her while she made that lil squeek LOL
I kinda like it as I've had overly vocal cats before....her lil noises are a nice change!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator

Cali's sound is like a soft little "caw" sound, you can barely hear it.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 02:02 AM
Cat Addict

I think cats are like people, some are soft spoken, others, not so much. Count yourself lucky. My kitten screeches the house down at dinner time! Sheesh!

Rachael with Thurston, Sully and Ninja.

Puzzles and Tyler, Gone but never forgotten
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 02:20 AM
Premier Cat

Oh man.....to have a quiet cat.....what heaven that would be.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 02:51 AM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowMow View Post
Oh man.....to have a quiet cat.....what heaven that would be.

Well you know I could find you a quiet cat.....and I could pick up MowMow when I'm out there next month. Just saying.....

Becky, the proud momma of:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page