new cat peeing on sofa - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 03:35 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Send a message via Yahoo to solarcat1
new cat peeing on sofa

We have a new cat, Milo an neutered 1 year old male, for three weeks now. He is very lovable and friendly, follows me everywhere, sleeps with me and loves to hang out and being pet.

However, he is peeing on the sofa. He knows where the litter box is and uses it for the most part, but also goes on the sofa. I tried cleaning it with detergent and vinegar, rubbed citrus on it, but today he peed on it again.
I soaked the sofa in stain and odor remover, but I am afraid this is a permanent problem and he will eventually go on other furniture or the bed. The cat seems to be happy, content and comfortable. the litter box is cleaned every time I see something in it, he has tons of toys, windows to look out of and we play with him.

Like I said, he seems happy. Any ideas what I can do to make him stop using furniture to pee on?
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 03:39 AM
Cat

There must be something in/on the furniture that he finds as an interesting smell.
Cats have great sense of smell, so even if you cover it up, he will still smell it, and probably continue to pee on it until the scent goes away.

It could also be a territorial thing.. I'm not sure.

Try to put foil on that part of the couch he pees on, the sounds will make that part of the couch less desirable to him. You could also spray some of that "Keep off" spray -- the scent usually keeps cats off of the sprayed area.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks AnaPanda, but we don't have other cats or dogs (just some fish, which he loves to look at), so it can't be territorial. Can it?

I was told that cat pee smell will always be there even if humans can't smell it. Does that mean we need a new sofa?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 03:50 AM
Cat Addict

When was the last time he has been to the vet? You need to make sure he doesn't have a UTI or something else health related before you can address any behavioral issues. Cats don't like to urinate outside of the litter box and usually when they do it they are trying to tell you something is wrong.

Becky, the proud momma of:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

We just adopted him and the adoption place said he was seen and he is healthy. I don't think he has an UTI because he doesn't pee very often, about two clumps per day in the litterbox and the sofa pee every so often.
The adoption place said that the previous owner didn't want him because he peed and just kept the sister and returned him to the shelter.
But the adoption place also said that the foster place didn't report any peeing outside of the litterbox.
Could it mean he just don't like to live with us?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Also, we had a cat, Maggie, for 12 years and she never peed on the sofa or anywhere else. She just died a little over a month ago.
Before we got Milo I washed down everything so there wouldn't be a competitive smell on blankets, litterbox or toys etc.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 07:43 AM
Premier Cat

I sympathize. I had the same problem with our first cat, and after many attempts to get the smell out, I gave up and bought a used couch on Craig's List. I know you don't want to sink a lot of money into a new couch, only to have your kitty pee on it again! Fortunately, once we got the "new" couch she didn't pee on it.

An idea for you. Once you've ruled out a UTI (which we did also), I realized that she might be telling us she wants to pee on something soft. I set up a second litterbox next to the first one, but put only a liner and a couple sections of folded newspaper in it. I kid you not, within half an hour she was peeing on the newspaper like a champ. It might be worth a try, because there isn't a whole lot to lose.

Holly and Murphy
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 08:42 AM
Senior Cat

Still take your cat in to the vet and ask to check for a UTI. Shelters/rescues don't really check for that. UTIs are serious and can be fatal, and male cats get them more often. I wouldn't trust an adoption place on this--I would go to the vet asap.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 08:57 AM
Nan
Cool Cat

Did you use a cleaner like Natures Miracle that is specifically for pet urine? If not, try that. Also put a throw over the sofa cushions so at least the urine won't soak into the cushion.

October has a good suggestion about setting up a second litter box. Where is the litter box? (ie not down in the basement, where he has to interrupt playing to run down there?)
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 12:05 PM
Premier Cat

I concur with previous posters about getting Milo checked for UTI first to rule that out.

In the meantime, cover the sofa with a plastic sheet and then a cotton sheet over top. Did you really soak the sofa with Nature's Miracle? It's not sufficient to just surface-clean the upholstery fabric, as the pee has likely soaked into the upholstery fill as well. You really want to try and break this habit as soon as possible. You might also set up another litter box, and also try Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract litter. Unfortunately, some male cats (neutered or not) will have an obsessive urge to mark or spray especially around his age, as it's a natural instinct when they are establishing a territory. He may outgrow the urge to mark in a few months (at least for your sake I hope so!). When you do see him using the litter box, praise him lavishly and/or give a treat. If you need to get another sofa, most cats that want to mark won't do it on a leather sofa. Let us know how it goes. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page