Do cats cry? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Do cats cry?

If so, how do you know when a cat is crying? How is it different from the other sounds?

The Royal von Meouw Dynasty: His Royal Highness the late Prince von Meouw,
Her Royal Highness Princess Gatita von Meouw, Nikita Duchess of Meouw and
His Highness Cuchi-Cuchi, next in line for the throne of Prince von Meouw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 03:42 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to RachandNito
When Nito "cries" it is usually when I haven't been around for a while. He makes this deep guttural and mournful "Mrrrooooow" sound. I don't know if you would call it crying, or just calling for his mama. Other than that, I don't think cat's actually 'cry' like we humans see it. They do get depressed though.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 03:58 PM
Senior Cat

Sometimes they do. Evie doesn't anymore, but she did when she was an only-cat as she was lonely. Mitzi does a low, long 'mrowww' when she's in the conservatory. I think she does it because she wants her own way!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 06:26 PM
Premier Cat

I don't think cats cry the same way you or I do when we're really unhappy...they seem to deal with that in silence for the most part. However, they do "cry" in pain.

I was in the kitchen one day, about a year ago, and I heard crying...more like continual screeching...coming from the family room. It sounded like a 3-year old child had fallen off her bike and scraped her knee, except I don't have a 3-year old child. When I went in to see what it was, Muffs was lying at the bottom of her cat tree, and she had a mouse on an elastic string tied around her leg. The more she tried to free it, the tighter the elastic wound against her leg. She was truly screeching in pain. I grabbed the scissor and cut it off her, whereupon she was silent again. Poor little thing...although she was fine a few minutes later.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 07:27 PM
Cat Addict

My Bengals will howl when they are upset, well... kinda like a yowl
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 09:22 PM
NRD
Tom Cat

I can identify at least three different cries by my Fab Four. The first is the most universal, and each made it when I first brought them home and placed them in a safe room. They cried incessantly because they were lonely and wanted company and/or to be let out. It was not meowing, it was cat crying. The second is the kind of crying in pain that Susan referred to. When I have accidentally stepped on one of them, there was a distinct cry of pain.

The third I have only heard Hersh make. When he is on the counter, if I ask/tell him to get down and he doesn't want to, he utters a very distinctive cry/moan/yowl of complaint. He only does it in those specific circumstances. And if I dare to pick him up to set him down, he makes it about four times as loud, as if I am strangling him. I don't know exactly how to describe it, except if you had a teenager dead set against doing what you asked and he forcefully, plaintively but clearly said "Noooooooooooo.....oh, ok, sigh!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by NRD; 03-04-2011 at 09:25 PM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 09:42 PM
Cool Cat

Yesterday one of my feral cats was in pain, and was growling with just about every breath. For a little while, I thought maybe he was having trouble breathing, but it was just because he was in so much pain from his foot having an open wound and severely infected. He just hid in the bushes and 'grumbled' about it. It went higher pitched and louder if any other cat got near him.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 09:51 PM
Cat Addict

I've heard my cats yelp in pain if I accidentally step back on one of them. I hate that noise.

Samantha cries for me if she can't find me or if I leave the house. It's a loud long "MROOOOOW." over and over.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 11:41 PM
Tom Cat

I think cats cry out for various reasons.

When Cloud got neutered and stayed at the vet overnight Mirage spent the whole crying in confusion over where he was. It was heartbreaking. She searched all his normal spots and just kept searching and searching.

I've seen mother cats cry out for their litters when they've been separated, as well as kittens cry for their mama's in fear when they can't find them.

I've seen cats of all ages cry as they near death...
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 11:45 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to RachandNito
Quote:
if I ask/tell him to get down and he doesn't want to, he utters a very distinctive cry/moan/yowl of complaint. He only does it in those specific circumstances. And if I dare to pick him up to set him down, he makes it about four times as loud, as if I am strangling him. I don't know exactly how to describe it, except if you had a teenager dead set against doing what you asked and he forcefully, plaintively but clearly said "Noooooooooooo.....oh, ok, sigh!"
I think I know what you're talking about. Nito gives me the same type of sass when I catch him doing something naughty and tell him to stop. He sort of freezes and gives that bizarre meow before slowly going back to what he was doing before. Naughty little bugger, I almost always have to get up and stop him. :-D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page