Cat Intro Problems :( Help! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Cat Intro Problems :( Help!

I have 4 cats of my own and one foster. I'm trying to introduce another. She is frustrating! She started off too scared to leave the front door, but now roams most the house. The problem is when one of my cats hiss she chases the and scares the crude out of them. I am upset because my cats are scared in their own house.

Usually when I introduce fosters they are started off in a room and are allowed to roam as I allow. All have done fine after being allowed out. Should I put her in the room and go from there? I really don't see that as working!?

To make this more complicated it is my moms cat and she wants me to keep her, but she won't listen to anything I say regarding this problem. I cannot allow my cats to be chased like this in their own house. I am ready to tell her to find a different home for her cat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 05:57 PM
Premier Cat

How long has she been with you in total, and how long was it that she was in a separate room before she was let out to roam with your cats?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Usually I start fosters in a room, I did not with her. My mom has been bringing her over for a few hours everyday for the last 3 days.

I was asking if I should start her off in the room. Or what???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 06:40 PM
Premier Cat

Ah...now I understand. I don't think it will be easy to do a proper introduction if she's only there a few hours a day. However, what you're seeing is likely the result of just putting them together without an introduction.

Of course, you have to play the hand you're dealt. So, if she'll only be there a few hours a day for now, then I'd put her in a separate room when she's with you...preferably one that your cats are often in. That way, she'll start to get used to their scents when she's in the room and they'll start to get used to hers when she's gone.

After doing that for a while, I'd move to putting her in the room and leaving the door open a crack...feeding the cats either side of the door, etc. So, a typical introduction, except it will likely proceed more slowly than normal since she's not with you full time.

Alternatively, if it's feasible, you can suggest your Mom leave her with you full time and that you'll try to introduce her to your cats...but if after a few weeks to a month, things haven't improved, your Mom will need to find other options.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

That's what I suggested doing, well similar anyways and she didn't seem too happy. She wants to be in control of the situation, but I told her I cannot allow my cats to be chased that way. I'm so mad. I always do a proper intro but here comes my mom and I let her have her way. It's my cats that were suffering. Hiding from hers. I told her this wouldn't work, I can't have them be afraid to move about and be normal cats. 'She's only chasing them, I don't think she;s going to attack them.' Really? I don't care! She doesn't get the point! Anyways we're done. She's not bringing her back.

I feel angry at her and myself. Her for putting me in this situation and me for allowing it. I told her how skinny her cat is and I wanted to send a fecal to the vet next week when I send a blood sample of my own. She says she pukes up hard food and only eats soft. Blah blah. I wasn't listening fully as it was just an excuse. I felt that something is wrong so it needed to be dealt with. A fecal is cheap and the best start. If I just dewormed her the answers to that question would take longer to get answered. Maybe I'll just do it though. But at least now I brought it to her attention she should do something. I mean really you want me to take your cat, but won't let me do anything medically for it. UGH! Ok done complaining.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 11:46 PM
Tom Cat

She needs to be started in a safety room like Susan suggested. Cats are territorial creatures, so from your own cats perspective this 'intruder' keeps invading and this poor new cat has the constant stress of being taken back and forth between places and not having the chance to establish a territory of her own. This is not an ideal set up for a cat considering how they psychologically work. Try what Susan recommended, and I sincerely hope that it works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page