Hershey Mischief....Again! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
NRD
Tom Cat

Hershey Mischief....Again!

I was going to write a different post this morning, but then something else intervened. I'll do the other post later.

I awoke about 6:30, with all four kitties in the bedroom, a rarity. I was still in bed about 7, by which time I noticed Hershey and Blizzy had disappeared. Suddenly I heard commotion and a crash from downstairs. I am becoming used to the occasional crash, because unfortunately they have gradually been destroying a collection of sculptures I have. I have also learned not to ignore a crash, because it can be almost anything.

I went downstairs. Last night, at midnight, I had given the Fab Four kitty treats and put them back in the kitchen cabinet, as usual. I have been doing this for a year. This morning, when I entered the kitchen, I saw a broken wine glass on the floor, in pieces, and a kitchen cabinet door open. I also saw three kitties happily digging into various packets of kitty treats. First things first. I saw Hershey under the dining room table, growling his little food success growl, so I went there and grabbed an old package of Vita Kitty that he had opened and had just started devouring. Then I went back into the kitchen and swiped back a couple of Temptations packages that Blizzy and Little Hersh were still attempting to open. Next I threw a few of the largest pieces of glass into the trash, then ran upstairs to put shoes on, so I would not be impaled by shards, ran back downstairs and swept up the remaining glass.

Amazingly, to me, Hersh had knocked over only one old wineglass in the process of extricating several treats bags from a cabinet where I keep maybe 20 glasses. And how did I know it was Hersh, by the way? Am I accusing him unfairly? Well, I consider that he incriminated himself. While I was cleaning up the glass, wondering which of my three guys had done the deed--Snowball had politely remained upstairs the whole time--Hersh kindly decided to expose his crime, by doing it again! He stood up on the counter, started scratching at the crack between the door and the cabinet, got the door to start bouncing a little and then slid his paw and nose into the space and swung the door open. Voila! And Guilty!

I had to go out in about an hour and had nothing to catproof the cabinet with, so I emptied it of cat treats and then, before leaving, I opened the twin cabinet doors and allowed all three kitties to look in and see for themselves nothing of interest was now in the cabinet. That seemed to work, as I returned home three hours later to no further damage.

Hersh is just so larger than life, for good and for mischief. For a year I was able to store chips and bread on top of the fridge and treats in the cabinets. Now, in the space of two weeks, he has discovered how to get to the fridge top and how to open the cabinets. I just can't catproof the entire house, but as a result now I never know what new adventure next awaits me! What's worse, Little Hersh is watching him and aspires to be his accomplice. One of him is dangerous enough. Of course, he's a wonderful cat, but sometimes he's too smart for his own, and my, good!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by NRD; 03-05-2011 at 01:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 02:12 PM
Cool Cat

Oh, don't you just love it when they discover they can open cabinets? Mine do that as well, and we now have child-proof latches on all the cabinets with breakables. Fergie doesn't care that there's nothing in there for her to eat, she just wants in and pushes out the offending dishes that keep her from being able to lay down in there. Now that Hersh has learned the trick you might want to put latches on a couple of cabinets so you can keep the treats safe from him! (and keep your glasses safe in case he decides to pull a Fergie!)

~Diana, happy mom to Fern and Fergie
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
NRD
Tom Cat

Oh, geez. Home Depot and/or Petsmart, here I come, later today!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 02:39 PM
Cat Addict

Glad no one got hurt!

As to breaking a wine glass, mazel tov! It brings good luck for the home and those who live in it in a bond of love. So according to the sacred laws, Hershey was just trying to be helpful.

The Royal von Meouw Dynasty: His Royal Highness the late Prince von Meouw,
Her Royal Highness Princess Gatita von Meouw, Nikita Duchess of Meouw and
His Highness Cuchi-Cuchi, next in line for the throne of Prince von Meouw.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 03:00 PM
Senior Cat

Haha, bless him! What a clever boy. Poor you though- broken glass at 7am! Although I had a cat poop by the front door to deal with this morning, cats hey!

Looks like you've got your hands full with him!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 06:15 PM
Cat Addict

The dual Hershes seem so full of mischief! Some of my clan know how to open the pantry doors. We started storing the cat treats in Rubbermaid containers because of them. Why is it that they always seem to pick the wee hours for their shenanigans? Or when you would really like to have that one more hour of sleep.

Sue

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
NRD
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlover13 View Post
The dual Hershes seem so full of mischief!
In fairness to Little Hersh, it's more like a big brother, little brother relationship, where big brother has a sidekick who looks up to him as a role model. Everyone likes Little Hersh (like Everyone Likes Raymond), and I am wracking my brain to come up with even a single naughty incident LH has himself instigated. He is submissive to all the other cats, except at mealtime, when he actually rules, with his little growls, and would steal from the others' food bowls if I let him. Hersh does all sorts of things, he's by far the most inquisitive, active and interactive; Blizzy has always been like the choir boy who smokes behind the church; and Snowball has unintentionally wreaked havoc in the household.

But Little Hersh, even though still borderline a kitten at 11 months and one week (April 1 is his 1st birthday), for some reason has always been on best behavior, even when he is conflicted due to his food obsession, which he shares with Hersh. I'd like to think it is his upbringing--he has been with me since he was four months old and had been in a good foster home from age 8 weeks--or it's just nurture and nature. Or I'm just plain lucky with him.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

I think Hersh and Cali were separated at birth. She understands how to use her claws to cut through the tape I use now to seal the cabinets shut. Tore through one the other night, and I leapt out of bed at 1:30 a.m. when the shatter occurred. Isn't it amazing how you can tell the difference between something breaking and that horrible "shattering" noise? Mopping and vacuuming and trying to get every little piece of glass out of every possible little crevice....

Our adorable little kids. What will they think of next??

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 09:38 PM
Cat

Which one of the cats in your sig is Hershey?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
NRD
Tom Cat

The one on the far left. Here's one of Little Hersh and Hersh together:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page