cat nip (how often?) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

cat nip (how often?)

I give Squiggy a big pinch of cat nip a day. Needless to say he enjoys it. Is there such a thing as too much/often? I don't want to be a "cat-nip-enabler". I'm sure that this question has been posted a thousand times. Too bad there isn't a search option for these forums.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 01:52 PM
Cat Addict

Once you sign in there is a search feature, on the top black bar there is "Search" and you click it for some drop-down options.

As for cat nip, it's to the owners disgression. I don't give my cats it very often (every few weeks), they like it but it's messy and I've read if you give it too often cats can become desensitized to it. One thing I do know though is that when my father was giving it often to my cat she would sit on the paper on the floor and look around expectantly. That bugged me because I didn't want her to come to expect it, I wanted her to think of it was a treat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

That's what I've noticed, that he sits and waits for the cat nip now. I've got a bit of a soft spot cause he's a stray living in the garage and his life is pretty treat-free, but I don't want to "over indulge" if it may be detrimental for some reason.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 03:39 PM
Cat Addict

Once every 6-8 weeks or when the stress level becomes high enough I can tell they need a buzz/crash/burn type of night.

My ladies love the 'nip, and I use it to my advantage. Thats about the ONLY time I can get one up on them.

-steve

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 03:44 PM
Cool Cat

I like to keep my cats drugged as much and as often as possible. OK, no, but they do have access to 'nip most of the time. Their outdoor area has several catnip plants and they bite and rub on them, but not excessively. When I give them some dried 'nip or catnip toys, they still go nuts and act like they've never 'used' before. They know where the stuff is stored, but they only get excited when they hear me open the bags.

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

=(^.^)= Elsie

Last edited by CataholicsAnonymous; 03-06-2011 at 03:46 PM. Reason: forgot an e
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 10:18 PM
Cat

I have the remains of a live catnip plant in the garage; took it out of ground in late fall, October I think. Amazingly enough, it still is producing leaves to some degree, even tho we have no windows in the garage. Enough that every time I come home I pick a leaf or two & bring it in. Have trained Lucky to enjoy sitting on the couch with me by doing this! (He's a feral) He loves catnip more than any of my cats did, and doesn't ever seem to tire of it. He is spoiled & expects it when I come in, though. Will put it back in the ground late April I guess, keeping it in its pot so it doesn't go crazy.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 03:12 PM
Jr. Cat

Modra doesn't care about catnip either, some cats simply don't have an appeal for this plant and apparently it's genetic, so one of her parents must have had this too. Other cats, including the neighbour cat, enter a sort of frenzy each time they smell/chew on catnip. None of the less, my Modra has the same reaction to my perfume. She picks up the sweater and rolls in it, licks it, plays with it, drools, purrs, it's a full spectacle. It all stops after a while of course and she gets back to her regular business of chasing things outside.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 11:44 PM
Kitten

I put a pinch of dried catnip on their cardboard scratcher about two times a week. I had a catnip plant growing but they crushed it so I just use dried catnip. Salem is so funny when he rolls in it on the scratcher and comes up to me with his cheek covered in catnip.

My lovely boys
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 07:47 AM
Premier Cat

The only negative effects I've heard of from giving too much catnip or giving it too often are (a) some cats might throw up if they receive too much at one sitting, or (b) too much catnip sometimes makes an already aggressive cat even more aggressive. Other than those two things, I'm not aware of any potential negatives from catnip "overuse".

My girls have their catnip toys (bananas, cigars, mice) and I sprinkle a bit of catnip on their scratching posts once every few weeks.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 01:50 PM
Cat Addict

I don't purposely give my cats catnip. Miu doesn't react to it, Cap'n Jack drools so much that I would be cleaning up a lot of things.

Rocky the dog goes insane over their toys (unfortunately, a lot of the toys contain catnip but luckily in small amounts). He acts like a little puppy (he's 6), throwing the toy in the air, rubbing all over it on his back and kicking his heels, doing donuts around the toy. It's such an odd sight that the cats sit there watching him and then sometimes, they look at me as if to say 'what's wrong with him?'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page