outside without a harness - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Cat

outside without a harness

i have been taking my 8 month siamese outside with a harness for 2 months, have him trained very good with it......today, he went outside without it, he seems a lot more free without it, though he is more freely to get away from me, though i can eventually pick him up and take him home...am i making a mistake taking him out without a harness
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 11:06 PM
Cool Cat

I think it depends how adventurous your cat is, what kind of area you live in, and most importantly, what kind of treats you have to lure him back inside

I can trust Pumpkin to go outside without a leash, and even leave her to go do some chores in my kitchen (I can see her from the window), and she will meow when she's ready to come back in. Simone always has to go out on his leash though because it is very hard to get him back inside, and he is not as "street savvy" as Pumpkin.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Cat

rocky, my cat, will come back in, but you can tell he does not want too....i just live in too dangerous area to leave him out, mainly cars going through the apartment complex, and the north mountain preserve....i live right on the edge of the preserve, can walk right out in it,,but there are coyotes there...one lady that lives in my complex saw a coyotes with her cat in its mouth, sad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 11:36 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to RachandNito
We used to think we could trust our Kovie outdoors. For almost two years he was fin on his short daily trips. Then on last Tuesday he went outside to use the bathroom as he always does after supper and he simply disappeared. We still haven't found him. :-/

I used to feel differently, but now I would never let my cat outside without direct supervision.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 12:20 PM
Cat Addict

Like already mentioned it does depend a great deal how a cat handles being outdoors and if it has street smarts. Some cats get it, others have to learn it the hard way and many more die young. My cat was a semi-feral, she know how to deal with everything outside, I've watched her avoid people,run from cars, never be far from home, avoid wildlife. I wouldn't let her be outdoor in my area if she wasn't so smart when it came to the outdoors. Another very important question is, if something goes wrong can you handle it? You have to weigh what's more important to you; is their freedom outside worth the dangers?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 12:12 AM
Cool Cat

Personally, with all the things you described I would keep Rocky on the leash (maybe buy a super long retractable leash made for dogs) until you know that he will run home when spooked. Pumpkin is very afraid of cars, and every time a car comes within 50 yards she runs straight home (same for anything else that spooks her). This is how I know that I can trust her. Even when off the leash, I would still supervise Rocky (I mentioned that I go inside, but I can see Pumpkin the whole time from my kitchen window).

Last edited by marie73; 06-03-2017 at 11:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page