Please Help!!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Unhappy Please Help!!!

Alright guys here is the story

My girlfriend and I just moved in together. I have one cat, misto female, and she had three cats, meeko casper and thomas all male. Misto moved from my house into the house with three cats and we did everything we were supposed to with them.

Misto has her own room, the living room, with her litterbox on one side and food and water on the other.

For some reason misto is being a super aggresor in this situation tho. She attacks the closed door when she hears another cat on the opposite side, if the cats put their paws under the door she freaks out and attacks them.

This morning she got out by accident when i slid the door open a little to go in she sprinted out and went right after the three other cats .

Meeko thomas and casper all are extremly calm cats and don't fight back they just run away and cower. Meeko and casper are nuetered but thomas isn't... However she seems not to attack thomas wich is odd. Also misto is not spayed.

I don't know what to do here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 01:21 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to RachandNito
Well, first thing to do would be to get both cats spayed and neutered. This will help curb any hormonal aggression that might be happening.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachandNito View Post
Well, first thing to do would be to get both cats spayed and neutered. This will help curb any hormonal aggression that might be happening.
That's what I thought at first but she doesn't attack thomas (the one un-nuetered cat) she only attacks the other two...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 01:31 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to RachandNito
It could be a dominance thing. She wouldn't dare try to dominate a big, strong, manly in tact male. But the neutered males, with less hormones, are probably more mellow and easily dominated. I think your fur family would benefit from both in tact cats being fixed. Also, it will prevent Misto from getting pregnant- that time of year is quickly approaching. Her hormones are probably all over the board right now.

Did you know there are also health benefits, not only just behavioral benefits, to getting your cat spayed/neutered?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 01:57 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachandNito View Post
He needs to be neutered and she needs to be spayed. It may not solve the problem but I'm willing to bet it will calm it a lot.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 02:24 PM
Jr. Cat

Unspayed females are extremely territorial, maybe even more so than males. I wouldn't expect her aggression to lessen unless you have her spayed, and probably not for a few months after the spaying, because her body will still be full of hormones for a while.

Unspayed cats that are not allowed to breed have a risk of developing pyometra (potentially deadly infection of uterus), and spaying your cat before her first heat cycle virtually eradicates the risk that she will ever get mammary gland cancer (very common tumor in unspayed cats, almost always malignant).
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 02:25 PM
Cat Addict

Get them fixed. It's the right thing to do.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 02:28 PM
Premier Cat

I absolutely agree with the prior posters. As long as any of the cats is unaltered, your introduction will be complicated. Also, when Misto goes into heat, she will start attacking your living room door for other reasons, she and Thomas will become "best friends", and a few months later you will have cats 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, ... to deal with!

So, step #1 is a vet visit.

As for step #2...a few questions. How old is each cat? How long have the cats been together under the same roof? Aside from giving Misto her own room, what else have you done thus far to introduce the cats?

In the meantime, I suggest you hold something (such as a pillow) close to your feet/legs when you go in and out of the living room, to prevent Misto from accidentally getting out again. If she tries to sneak by, you can "shoo" her back in with the pillow...or, at the very least, the pillow will slow down her escape and permit you to nab her.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Hey everybody Thanks for the replies

I am aware they need to be fixed they both have appointments to be fixed in about a week.

Meeko and misto are both a little over 2 and thomas and casper are a little over 1.

They have been under the same roof for a little over two weeks.

For other introductions I have left the door open just a bit (its a sliding door) so they can stick their noses up to the door and smell each other. Also there have been some supervised vists with each cat sepretaly and they seem to be fine they just walk super slow and miaow at each other and then sit right next to each other and smell tails and such... but the moment they are all near each other all cat fights breaks loose
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 02:51 PM
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmonjay View Post
Hey everybody Thanks for the replies

I am aware they need to be fixed they both have appointments to be fixed in about a week.

Meeko and misto are both a little over 2 and thomas and casper are a little over 1.

They have been under the same roof for a little over two weeks.

For other introductions I have left the door open just a bit (its a sliding door) so they can stick their noses up to the door and smell each other. Also there have been some supervised vists with each cat sepretaly and they seem to be fine they just walk super slow and miaow at each other and then sit right next to each other and smell tails and such... but the moment they are all near each other all cat fights breaks loose
Why are you letting an intact male and female in the same room? You do realise that is just asking for kittens!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page