somebody's been peeing in my bed... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

somebody's been peeing in my bed...

here's another newbie question: last night when going to bed I noticed that my blanket was wet it was very late and I was tired and lazy so i just turned it around and fell asleep. this morning I woke up and my blanket was wet AGAIN! I washed everything to get rid of the smell, because I read the smell of cat pee can be like an invitation for my cats to keep on using my bed as a toilet. But I'm starting to worry now, could this be a symptom for a more serious condition? My cats were still using their litter boxes this morning so it's not like they have forgotten about them There doesn't seem to be anything else wrong with them. Maybe it was just an accident? (I know that happens quite frequently in the kindergarten I'm working in )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 03:06 PM
Cool Cat

Could be a UTI - try to figure out which one is doing the peeing on the bed. You have my sympathy - I'm going through the same thing.

Get some apple vinigar to put with the clothes you wash - it helps with the pee smell.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 12:28 AM
Premier Cat

Here is a link to a topic I made in response to members having problems with inapropriate elimination issues. Give it a look and see if anything appears to point to what you are seeing with your own cats.
heidi =^..^=

https://www.catforum.com/forum/37-beh...urination.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 12:51 AM
Tom Cat

I read the link but have a question for you, Heidi. I inherited my mother's cat and she's been doing this for years. I just thought it was a behavioral issue. Is it possible for a cat to have a UTI for years?
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 01:00 AM
Premier Cat

I suppose it is possible for a cat to have a long-term UTI, but I would expect at some point over that excessive length of time for an infection to worsen and have a dramatic negative impact on the cat's health.
It could be behavioral, or it could be a case of .... oh, I can't recall the term, (interstititis? ugh, I know that is wrong!) but it is like bumps or something in the cat's bladder and it makes them behave as if they've got a UTI, but they don't. I also can't recall how vets diagnose that condition.

post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 01:13 AM
Tom Cat

Having had UTI's frequently in my youth, I don't think it can be long term without putting one in a hospital! That's why I never took her to the Vet to investigate it. Thing is, I wonder why if it's a litterbox issue she doesn't also poo elsewhere? She is a very prissy girl. Other cats have always disliked her, from the very moment she entered my mother's house. But I guess it's worth investigating. It's not a regular thing, just every so often. Just when I let my guard down. God how I hate finding the bed wet when I'm tired! Makes me spittin' mad. Not at her, but at myself for forgetting to close the door to the bedroom...but then, the others can't take cat naps on my bed if the door is closed.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 08:39 AM
Jr. Cat

Our cat Phantom peed in our bed a few years ago for the first time...literally the weekend after getting a new mattress and bedding!!! Thank goodness for the mattress pad that saved our mattress.

We were very concerned and had him to the vet ASAP. Turned out to be a bladder inflamation, which was controlled with Cosequin. We called them his "magic pills" because not only did they fix the issue (and it never happened again) but it actually changed his temperament for the better.

Good luck, you are getting lots of good advice on this thread!
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 09:20 AM
Cat Addict

It's a sign of love. She's mixing scents with you. Don't change the sheets. That's an insult.

The last time people tried to elimate free roaming cats it resulted in The Black Plague.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 11:50 AM
Premier Cat

It's possible it's a UTI, but sounds more behavioral to me, and related to the fact that the other cats don't like her and let her know it. Likely her way of asserting her "dominance". By marking your bed, she's saying it's "mine". Yeah, it's hard to remember always to keep the door closed. Perhaps another cat tree or stand near where she usually sleeps may help. If it's the bedroom she wants to be, because of the other cats, you could put a cat stand in there and cover the bed with a plastic sheet.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 11:52 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_ph View Post
it's a sign of love. She's mixing scents with you. Don't change the sheets. That's an insult.
lmao!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page