Separation anxiety? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Separation anxiety?

Anyone see cats with separation anxiety? Not separation from the owners either.

I've had Eric & Ernie since they were 4 months old, they were litter mates, and I may always feel a little bad for taking them from their momma.

They always slept curled up together for the first month at home, less so these days.

They're indoor/outdoor cats, I have dogs and have a dog door which the cats use freely. But lately, whenever Eric goes out, Ernie is a mess. He has to be cuddled, needs his comfort blanket, or stomps around the place, searching for his brother, making trilling noises. Of course, when his brother comes home, they sniff at each other then generally ignore each other. But when Eric goes out again, Ernie seems to panic.

Bizarrely, it's Ernie who once stayed out all night, giving ME a panic attack - I was walking the streets at 2 a.m. in my pajamas, banging food tins. He turned up the next morning for his breakfast, as if nothing happened.

Whenever Ernie goes out, Eric doesn't make such a fuss...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 06:17 PM
Premier Cat

Both of my cats are indoors, so they're generally with each other. However, upon occasion, Muffs has been at the vet's office all day (grooming) and Abby is always absolutely lost without her. She looks all over, trills and mews, and is generally a little pest! In contrast, Abby has been at the vet's office a few times, and Muffs is quite happy on her own. I believe she thinks, "Peace at last"!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 11:41 AM
Premier Cat

Cats can have separation anxiety. Sometimes it's when an owner leaves for work or it can be for a close cat friend. It's normal and not much you can do about it. The saddest part is when one cat dies. Had 2 girls who were together 15 years, and even after her cat friend died we showed her body, but it was like she wouldn't accept it. She mourned her for five months. She wanted every closet door opened, searched the house meowing, sat in places where her friend sat, was quite depressed and ate less and slept more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page