Sharing My Pain? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Sharing My Pain?

I loaded up the dishwasher, and reached into the cupboard under the sink to pull out the liquid dishwashing gel stuff...and I dropped it right on my foot. The bottle was almost full and all I had to protect my feet were socks...needless to say I did a bit of swearing, it hurt so bad (my little toe is kinda swollen, but I know it's not broken). Samantha had been sitting quietly watching me from the edge of the kitchen, and when I cried out from dropping the bottle on my foot, Samantha quickly followed it with this yowling noise, like she was in pain too (scared me half to death, I thought she was really hurt!!). She came running into the kitchen and started purring and rubbing all over me (I was hunched on the floor).

Of course I checked her out too, but nothing was wrong (how could she hurt herself just sitting there?). She's still fine...just half laying on my shoulder, half on the back of my computer chair, purring and still rubbing on me.

I don't want to anthropomorphize anything, but it really seemed like she could feel my pain and wanted to comfort me. I've never seen her act that way before (then again I haven't been in that much pain in a long time!). She's very connected to me emotionally, and if I'm having a bad day, she picks up on that. Could this be the same thing?

What do you guys think? Anyone else have an experience like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 02:29 PM
Cat

I've had similar things happen. I slipped coming down the stairs once and ended up bending my second toe underneath my foot then stepping on it. As I sat on the floor swearing and in pain Bodhi kept walking around me with this concerned look...like he didn't quite know what to do. I think cats are definitely tuned in to our emotions.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 02:30 PM
Premier Cat

I'm sure it's true, but I've never had anything like that from the two cats I've had. If I winced in pain, I think Murphy would get up and walk out of the room because I was bothering him.

Holly and Murphy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 03:10 PM
Premier Cat

Awww...Sammy is so sweet. Abby must be related to Murphy...she too would walk out of the room, thinking something along the lines of "Susan, for heaven's sakes, I'm trying to sleep"! And, upon hearing an unusual sound, Muffs would no doubt run under the coffee table. I would be left to deal with my pain on my own.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 05:05 PM
Premier Cat

Absolutely. I had food poisoning a while back and MowMow spent the entire time on the sink next to me head butting me and trilling. He'd follow me back to bed and seemed to be so careful in how he walked on the bed (as compared to his herd of elephants walk).

Also, if he's really ignoring me and won't come when called I can do a crying kitten mew and it brings him running every time. He'll climb on me and head but my face until I stop.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 05:44 PM
Tom Cat

Definitely! My two aren't quite there yet, but this sort of thing is how I knew my Zoe was not in our apartment when I returned home that awful night. Once I started to cry and she still didn't come out I knew my baby girl was not in our home. And because the balcony door was wide open by that point in the evening I think I knew she wasn't alive either because she would have cried out from the ground to me.

Last year Zoe hurt her shoulder and at one point while she was still having a hard time getting around I had a wicked migraine that came in waves of horribleness for the better part of a month. During that first week she refused to leave my side despite her own difficulties getting around. It got so I would carry her whenever I got up despite it hurting my head to bend over since I knew she'd try to walk with me to the kitchen or shower or wherever. I figured if my furbaby could go through that to look after me then I could do that for her.

Apple & Pedro seem to have that sort of relationship with one another though. When Pedro declawed his pinky toe and I had to clean it up he would of course be upset and Apple would come running for him. Apple isn't a big fan of having her teeth brushed and cries. When she does Pedro comes running to her "rescue".
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 11:00 PM
Cat Addict

Wish my kitties were as sensitive as Samantha to your pain. When I had my gallbladder surgery, I had to sleep with my pillow on my stomach to keep the cats from using my tummy as a spring board in the middle of the night.

Rachael with Thurston, Sully and Ninja.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Puzzles and Tyler, Gone but never forgotten
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 11:02 PM
Cat

Our feral baby (who we've had for a year now, but still our baby) would never go to his cat bed in our bedroom where he always sleeps until I go to bed also. Sure enough, I was gone for 4 nights this past week and my husband says he slept in the guest room the entire time even tho he'd get up on the couch by him as usual for his brushes.
I came home with the flu, and am just now mostly recovered, at least didn't spend the whole day in bed. When I was in bed he spent most of the time sitting by me, according to hubby. He normally grabs me gently by the ankles as I pass his litterbox or foodbowl, as I change both most frequently. The few times I got up he never did that. Just followed me & went back by the bed with me.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 11:08 PM
Cat

My little Meezer mix Raisin is tuned into the TV. . .but then I've never really cried around her.

The TV - the other night I was watching something and the woman on TV started crying. Raisin came out of the bedroom and jumped right up behind me on the couch and looked at me intently - and I swear she was thinking "Are you okay?" When I realized it was the TV again (we've had other issues) I let her know I was okay and the silly lady on TV was just acting. Not sure Raisin understood "acting" but she seemed convinced I was alright.

She was also very upset when her good friend Budhi went to the Rainbow Bridge, cried and searched for days.

Last edited by suwanee; 03-18-2011 at 11:11 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 04:13 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to my5kitties
When I came back home from the emergency after having my sweet boy, my soul kitty Smokey, put down, I was a complete mess. Crying, sobbing, and I believe there may have been some wailing, too. After I had calmed down, my other sweet boy, my heart kitty Star, came over to me, climbed in my lap, looked me in the eye, and headbutted me. Star has never done that to me, before or since Smokey's death. However, in the just over two months that Smokey's been gone, Star has been my shadow about 80% of the time. He knows, even though I don't express it as much as I used to, that I miss Smokey and he follows me to make sure I'm alright. I love him.

----------
Renée

Last edited by my5kitties; 03-19-2011 at 04:14 AM. Reason: comma overload
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page