odd behavior... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 02:46 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

odd behavior...

here is a very odd behavior,

first good news, our younger 8 month ish stray we adopted (Nami) just got spayed

the weird part about it is chopper's behavior (1 yr neutered male), theyve known each other for about 2 months now and have seemed best of buddies from the start (1 day of hissing, 2 days of "suspicious" looks, then by a week they were grooming each other)

well, we got her back from the vet (she stayed overnight) and brought her back, she was looking pretty sick (she was sedated) and she sort of wobbled out of the cat carrier

chopper however, kept hissing at her, and thought we picked her up at 9 AM (its 1:40 AM the next day now, so its been over 12 hrs) he's still hissing at her... she still looks weak but a lot better, and chopper is still hissing away when he walks by her.

its so weird, all his body language is making him appear scared and not aggressive...

his tail is not fluffed, his back is not rigid, he doesnt get very close to her, he's jumpy and even hissed at us a few times (again no aggressive behavior and even let us pet him as usual and was affectionate as usual).. he's also sitting down with his paws tucked inside him and his tail semi-tucked to the side of him..

its a bit strange, don't know why he's hissing so much and all day, we thought about isolating him from her but she seems to ignore him and he seems to exhibit his normal behavior completely other than turning her way and tossing a hiss at her randomly when he's near her.

oh and he's making a very weird sound too, it almost sounds like he's trying to growl, think lion roar + cat meow put together.. kind of cute almost lol

-confused cat owner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 02:49 AM
Premier Cat

Maybe she smells like the vets office. I'm sure she doesn't smell like the cat who left and came back.... maybe with some time he'll calm down.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

its pretty strange, that was my guess that she smelled odd, but wouldnt this change after about 15 hours? also, he's sort of in semi hiding places that he doesnt use as much (cat houses we have perched up on top of boxes high).

i thought maybe he got scared because she came back very hurt and smelling like all sorts of other people and animals he may have thought "AHHH, AN ASSAILANT, IM NEXT... I CAN SMELL HIM ON HER, HE MUST BE AROUND... HISS HISS!!!!"

idk, i have no ideas... this one boggles me lol its a bit cute i just wish he wouldnt hiss at nami

the little kitty roars are cute at least
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 03:03 AM
Cat Addict

If she has a blanket or something similar she sleeps on a lot take it and rub it on her so her vet scent is masked. He doesn't recognize her.

Becky, the proud momma of:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 03:43 AM
Super Moderator

You could try the vanilla trick. Put a drop of vanilla extract on the back of each cat's neck, that way they smell the same.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 08:21 AM
Premier Cat

What your seeing is not at all unusual and, as others have said, it's because she carries the smells of the vet's office. So, first, he doesn't recognize that she's the same cat and, second, she might remind him of the vet's office (likely not a good memory!).

My girls have been together for almost two years now. Last summer, Muffs was at the vet for a day and, when she came home in the evening, Abby starting hissing at her. I essentially had to do a "mini" re-introduction. I rubbed Muffs with some of the blankets she was accustomed to sleeping on (as Becky suggested). I kept them separated when I was at work or sleeping. It took about 3 days before Abby "recognized" Muffs. I finally ended up putting both of them outside on a windy day (in their outdoor enclosure), following which they were fine. I think being outside must have somehow altered Muffs' scent. You might also try Marie's vanilla suggestion...but, not to worry, this should pass in a few days and is perfectly normal.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 05:16 PM
Premier Cat

This is normal behaviour. Cats often do this when one has been to the vet, even if both are. Recently I had my two cats to the vet for bloodwork on a Friday, prior to a scheduled dental cleaning for both on Monday. My girl hissed and growled at her half-brother after coming back from the bloodwork that she's known for 6 yrs. for 2 days. I thought it would be the same after the dental cleaning, but they were both a bit groggy from the anesthetic, and there was no hissing or growling. It's hard to us to understand cats' behaviour sometimes.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

by the next day they were bff's again. haha
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 11:31 PM
Premier Cat

Glad to hear they're friends again! If either of them has to stay with the vet again, I'd rub them down with a blanket or something containing their scent before bringing them in the house. It's a habit I now follow. You might find that helps a bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page