Door opening. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Door opening.

I knew it would happen eventually. And Cherry has learned to open the doors. Casie could open only a few doors(my room door, both ways and the screen door) which could easily be fixed. But our doors are old and some don't close right and lock so Cherry has been able to push them open. One of them that everyone is annoyed by is the bathroom.

When someone is in there, she jumps on the door and barges in to watch the birds in the tree outside. My dad locks the door now(you have to lift it to lock it) but she's figured this out and will race him into there if she sees him going in there. I put a big jug in front of the door to keep her out or I'll let her in if I'm showering.

She also is figuring out that turning the door knob opens doors and my dad said he saw her trying to open his office door that way(it's a glass door so you can see through it). My parents think she'll try and escape the front and back door. But the only door she's been outside from is the door to the upper deck(which is wicked hard to open). Are there any way to get rid of this behavior? I'd prefer if she could open my room door only. I asked my parents about cat flaps and my dad doesn't want to ruin the doors.

"Dogs have Masters. Cats have staff." - Unknown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 01:11 PM
Cat Addict

When I leave for work, there are a few doors that I'll close off to the cats. After all, they can go outside anytime they want via the cat door. They don't need the run of the whole place.

This morning, just like every morning, I came home to find all the doors I had closed were open. Silly cats.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

XD Casie would always open my room door right after I'd close it. And since she was so big, her flub would open it even more! It bugged me so much having my door open.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 07:42 PM
Kitten

My cat also tries to open the doors! If the door isn't closed all the way (or if it is a sliding door) my cat uses his hand to open the door... even if the door is closed and locked, he will wake me up by knocking on the door... NO JOKE!

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Our screen door didn't lock and at the edge it had a piece gone so Casie could hook her claws on it and push the door to the side. So annoying on summer days. -.-

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 02:52 AM
Jr. Cat

I feel your pain, my Jasio has figured out door knobs. Hilarious, but annoying.

At this point I just keep all doors leading outside dead-bolted at all times, even the screen door. Sounds like that is not a good option in your case, so other than placing weights (e.g. the jug) to brace a door shut when you're on the correct side to do that, I haven't got any brilliant ideas.

Of course for the bathroom, you could always install a hook and eyelet to hold the door shut, or a simple sliding latch.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 03:01 AM
Super Moderator

My girls know the door handles open the doors, but they're round, so there's no grip for them. Sometime, they stare at the handles as if willing them to open the door. But when Charlee wants in the bedroom in the morning, she jumps up and grabs at it repeatedly. Until I take a 2 litre bottle and smack it against the door. Then she stops. For about 10 minutes.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 08:11 PM
Cat

My kittens are so big that if a door is closed, they just charge at it and it gives way. There's no privacy in this house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page