Please stop meowing - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Please stop meowing

We have two 2-y/o cats that are pretty great by cat standards. They go in their litter, they don't scratch anything and have basically no health issues except that the female sheds like it's going out of style. They're brother and sister and we adopted them from the shelter when they were 8 weeks and they have been 100% indoor cats and have never been outside except in their crate to go to the vet.

As kittens they were virtually silent. I forget at what point because it's been so long, but before they were 1 the female started meowing more than usual. Eventually the male picked up this habit too. Now he meows for attention, approval and when he's happy that food or a treat is coming, with the occasional staring at the ceiling and meowing session, but nothing too excessive. At least if you give him the attention he wants he immediately stops and welcomes the attention.

The female, on the other hand, has gone off the deep end in my opinion. She meows when she stands up, she meows when she jumps, she meows when you enter the room, she meows when you approach her. She basically meows if there is any sort of physical action involved by her or us. Now this might be great if we could satiate her with a quick rub, but as soon as you bend to rub her she ducks away and doesn't want to be touched until you stop, squat down and very calmly reassure her that it's OK. Some of that comes from her brother being a bit of a bully and the other comes from us telling her to be quiet all the time, which is obviously not working. But she still demands the attention all the time. She is also petrified of guests.

We've tried spray bottles and air bottles, but they only make her quiet for a minute when, what seems in her mind the "attack" unrelated to her meowing is over and she can start up again. She doesn't meow to get into our bedroom (no pets in there), she doesn't meow to go outside and she doesn't meow like she misses another cat (mother, etc.) It's basically for attention, but then she doesn't want the attention when it comes unless it's "spoon-fed" to her, which we can't do every time we walk through a room.

I'll admit, I'm not a real huge cat person, so this practice has really begun to wear on my nerves, not mention my cat LOVING wife's nerves.

Is this a behavior that anyone else has witnessed and been able to do something about?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 07:15 PM
Cat Addict

What kind of cats are they? Some breeds tend to be vocal.

I've had many, many cats, but none that were vocal. My neighbor has a part Maine Coon, Theo, that's vocal, though. Theo is around often and although I love him and pet him, I find all the wailing kind of annoying.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 11:21 PM
Premier Cat

Now and again, Abby can get quite chatty, although she's just looking for attention and when she gets it, she's quiet...so that's more like your male than your female. Sometimes, I can't give her attention, since I'm working or in the middle of something that's time sensitive. In those cases, if she continues to mew incessantly, I give her a ten-minute time-out in my bedroom. I've only done that twice in the 18 months I've had her, but each time, after I let her out of the bedroom, she's been quiet. I don't know if that would work for your girl, but it might be worth a shot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page