Cat Is ALWAYS Meowing! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Exclamation Cat Is ALWAYS Meowing!

I have 2 Calico cats, Kallie and Socks. Socks (Grey and white fur), is a BIG meower. It is an uphill battle for me. Any time I walk away from her she is always crying. I feel like I always have to give her attention.

Another point, she HATES to be held. I used to hold her to calm her down when she was a kitten, but now I think she assocates that with being bad.

Finally, how can I prevent her from climbing on my dresser and knocking over stuff in the early morning and middle of the night? She knows that when I get out of bed that I am going to get her off of the dresser. I don't mind her lying on the dresser as long as she's not breaking stuff. My wooden furniture is paying the price for her clawing on it. (Both of the cats claw on my wooden furniture, but Socks is the worst.)

What can I do for her always needing attention? I pet her, try to hold her, talk to her, give her toys to play with (she won't play often), but nothing I do has worked.

What can I do to get her to like being held? She growls, kicks, claws, and fights me any time I try to hold her.

If anyone can help me answer these questions, It would help me out very much! Thanks!

Kallie & Socks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 05:07 PM
Cat Addict

I have a kitty who never stops talking, demands attention and doesn't want to be picked up. She's a Siamese so that's all expected. Some people likeem that way. Be flattered. Cats are quiet when they're scared.

I learned to love it but I'm just a sucker for the kittes.

The last time people tried to elimate free roaming cats it resulted in The Black Plague.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 06:03 PM
Cat Addict

I saw in a pet store yesterday a lovely cat backpack. So compact and cute. You can keep your kitty in there, hands-free, and go on doing your stuff around the house, like African mommies do with their babies, then the babies never cry for mommy. I'd buy it if Prince wasn't the size of a dog (I only buy stuff for dogs for him).

The Royal von Meouw Dynasty: His Royal Highness the late Prince von Meouw,
Her Royal Highness Princess Gatita von Meouw, Nikita Duchess of Meouw and
His Highness Cuchi-Cuchi, next in line for the throne of Prince von Meouw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 06:16 PM
Cat

I have 2 Calico cats, Kallie and Socks. Socks (Grey and white fur), is a BIG meower. It is an uphill battle for me. Any time I walk away from her she is always crying. I feel like I always have to give her attention. Well, I'd say that she's just being talkative, not necessarily crying. Especially Calicos, they are chatty.

Another point, she HATES to be held. I used to hold her to calm her down when she was a kitten, but now I think she assocates that with being bad. Not all cats like to be held. Or not for long, anyway.....

Finally, how can I prevent her from climbing on my dresser and knocking over stuff in the early morning and middle of the night? She knows that when I get out of bed that I am going to get her off of the dresser. I don't mind her lying on the dresser as long as she's not breaking stuff. My wooden furniture is paying the price for her clawing on it. (Both of the cats claw on my wooden furniture, but Socks is the worst.) I used a carpet runner (carpet protector), turned upside down, to stop furniture jumping. It is that clear vinyl stuff with little "points" on the back, just enough to annoy kitty but not hurt them. You can remove it after a couple weeks. Also, things like empty cans placed at the edges of the dresser will fall and scare them away. Or just banish cats from the room at night.

What can I do for her always needing attention? I pet her, try to hold her, talk to her, give her toys to play with (she won't play often), but nothing I do has worked. You're doing this to yourself. Don't feel guilty, they're just carrying on a conversation. Just talk to them, that's attention.

What can I do to get her to like being held? She growls, kicks, claws, and fights me any time I try to hold her. See above.

Last edited by suwanee; 03-21-2011 at 06:19 PM.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 06:27 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to RachandNito
Looks like you've got a talker. I've got two of them right now. And my life is never quiet.

I like it that way
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 07:07 PM
Cat Addict

Hehe.. Misa is a talker too. lol
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks to all who took the time to reply! I have read all of them and Suwanee, the idea of the carpet protector was something I have NEVER given thought to! Thanks for the great idea! I will be sure to get me one of these.

Straysmommy--The backpack idea was another idea I never thought about! I don't know if Socks would enjoy this device, but I'm sure Kallie would! She loves to be snuggled and held. Another point I forgot to all in my post was that both of the cats like to sleep on my lap, on the bed, on the couch, etc....

Kallie & Socks
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 08:57 PM
Cat Addict

My cats would kill me in the night if I put them in a backpack.

Sinatra talks constantly, I talk back.

Becky, the proud momma of:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Suwanee, I have tried to banish the cats from other parts of the house before and all I get it clawing and scratching on the doors or walls. Not to mention, A LOT of meowing! How can I get them out of our bedroom at night without all the noise so my hubby and I can sleep in peace?

Kallie & Socks
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Sinatra-Butters--I talk to both of my cats as well....lol. I'm glad I can't understand what they are really saing to me besides "Meow!"

Kallie & Socks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page