Weird Kitty! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Weird Kitty!

So something strange just happened, I thought I would share, see if anyone has any insights.

Wicket used to do a lot of kneading behavior, only with blankets, tshirts, and other soft things--we used to joke about it when we first got him, and how he had unresolved Mommy issues. He would always purr when he kneaded and his nose would get really wet and he would leave wet marks on our duvet every night.

After we got Atlas, he stopped doing it as much--probably partly because we don't let them both into the bedroom at night (the kitten is just too freaky right now, and never settles down in our room in particular) and because his routine was interrupted in general by the kitten and having to share all his stuff--we missed the kneading! He was less affectionate to us in general for a few weeks while he figured out his new roommate (and, I'm guessing, because he had less need of us from an emotional standpoint?). Now that they've bonded (it's been about a month?) and settled in together he's starting to get more cuddly with us in general--but has never ever been a lap cat and only recently began to let us pick him up and hold him, and only when he's in a very lovey mood. He likes to snuggle with my hubby way more than with me and will tolerate a little more picking up from him than from me.

Anyway, just 5 minutes ago, after a nice little dinner, he walked upstairs, walked straight up to my chaise (he has a habit of stretching out between my legs or along whichever one has the most room next to it) and let out this really loud MEOW!!!!!! and jumped right up onto my chest, all 15 lbs of him--OOF!--and started to purr like mad while kneading my chest and shoulder. 5 minutes later, he was done, jumped down, and went to have a bath on his chair.

?????? What was he thinking? I wanna know! The only thing I can think is that Atlas has this habit of jumping up on our laps and standing on his back legs, putting his front paws over our shoulders and sticking his head under our chins and snuggling like that, maybe Wicket is learning lap behavior from the kitten? He's never voluntarily gotten up on us like that, except the odd jump to a lap to get up somewhere higher.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 09:05 PM
Jr. Cat

We were kneaded by our needy cat all the time. He would come and sit on you and kneed you chest or your legs, if he was laying next to you on the sofa, he would make sure his legs were touching you so he could kneed. In bed of a night as soon as you got in, there would be Bob kneading away on my tummy, or sometimes if I had already got in my sleep possession (I sleep on my tummy), he would kneed on my back (this was actually quite excellent, like a mini massage. Every time he did this, he was purring so loudly, I'm sure the neighbours could hear him, mind you you only had to look at that cat and he would purr and if you stroked him oh..my..gosh how loud he was. Its one of the things that I miss most.

Sounds to me like you have a very happy and contented kitty on your hands and he's just trying to show you in his laguage.

Last edited by Kamie; 03-22-2011 at 09:07 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 09:41 PM
Tom Cat

Kitties definitely learn from one another. As a young kitty my Zoe was NOT affectionate and I can count on one hand how many times I heard her meow in her first 4 years. When I got Gabe he was super insanely affectionate & VERY talkative. It wasn't long after Gabe died that Zoe started speaking LOTS and also being super lovey. I definitely think she learned from him how he got attention and was afraid to mimic him until he wasn't around anymore. She was very easily embarrassed so I almost think she was afraid to do it wrong in front of him.

I just love those little moments when you see they have learned something new from the world around them!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 03:00 PM
Cat Addict

Fyreflie, my strays learn from each other a lot, especially notable is how they learn from each other how to relate to me. The more shy ones learn from the bolder by observation that takes months. Then one day they gather the courage and suddenly come up to me and try the behavior they observed for so long. But because it doesn't come naturally to them (each has their own personality), they suddenly do it and suddenly a moment later run away. They keep like that for some time until the new behavior starts coming natural to them too and then they're not so abrupt about it. We humans act the same in some things. We'll see someone with a haircut we love on them, observe for months but don't dare go for it, then one day we feel more courageous, ask the stylist for the same haircut style, then go home, look at ourselves in the mirror and go "oh no, what did I do!", and with time we get used to it and love it and congratulate ourselves for having tried. Right now I have 3 strays that are undergoing this process.

The Royal von Meouw Dynasty: His Royal Highness the late Prince von Meouw,
Her Royal Highness Princess Gatita von Meouw, Nikita Duchess of Meouw and
His Highness Cuchi-Cuchi, next in line for the throne of Prince von Meouw.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 03:03 PM
Cat Addict

I forgot to give examples: staying when I'm around instead of running to hide, sitting on my lap, rubbing against my legs, letting me pet their heads. These are all behaviors they observe for several months in the bolder cats and then gather the courage to try. I just don't make any fuss about it, so as not to scare them more than they already are in the first attempt.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 03:06 PM
Cat Addict

SpellQ, I love that too. It shows how observant cats are, and how they draw conclusions and take on new behaviors. Prince is a very quiet cat, some days I won't hear one sound from his mouth. I've read it's quite typical of some of the breeds he has in him, so I let him be. But when we come back from spending time with the strays colony, he's always talkative - and I can easily identify who he is imitating (whoever he spent a long time with that day). He will even say "miouw", which he never says, after he's spent time with a big meower we have downstairs. It fades after a few minutes, though.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Yeah, Wicket has been doing a lot more lap cat activity since yesterday! It's really cute, although sometimes with an "ooomph"--he weighs so much! I think it's really neat how they learn from eachother. I'm hoping Atlas (the kitten) will teach Wicket how to eat chicken wings, Atlas loves them and Wicket refuses to acknowledge them as food at all--best success was today when I rubbed chicken wet gravy from tinned food onto the entire chicken wing and then he tried chewing on it for a split second before getting bored and looking at me with a "where's the REAL food?" look on his face
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page