Cat Forum banner

Post-Kennel-Stay behavior?

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Fyreflie 
#1 ·
Curious to see what other peoples' kitties do when you bring them home from the kennel? We came home from a week-long trip to the big city yesterday and had kenneled our kitties with a wonderful lady I found in the middle of nowhere.

The trip out there was a nightmare, Atlas pooped in his carrier as soon as we hit the back roads (was fine on the highway, but he apparently poops when he gets motion sick instead of vomiting, makes this pathetic mewl right before he does to let us know, poor thing!) and then got it EVERYwhere--so as soon as we got there, I had to pick him up very gingerly and we had to give him a BATH! Legs and back end only, really, thank goodness, the poor little guy was so freaked out he didn't even try to get away. Anyway, I texted back and forth with the lady over the week and she reassured me that they were both eating and drinking and coming out to play. Phew! I was worried about Wicket especially, he doesn't like new places.

Anyway. We picked them up yesterday and the kitten was overjoyed to see us, rolling around and showing off, purring up a storm, talking to us. Wicket was a little more reserved but shook his tail at us a few times and went into his carrier fairly easily (we got him a big softcrate that zips instead of a hard carrier, and he still hates it but doesn't fight it as much as he did the small hard carrier). Rowred at us all the way home, a 40 minute drive. The kitten pooped again just as we were almost home but we managed to pull over and let him out of the carrier and into Wicket's before he managed to get it all over himself. When we got them home, they both ran up the stairs and took a good sniff around, then played the rest of the afternoon and ate their dinner with no issues. We let them sleep with us last night to help them settle in again and they both slept all night curled up between us, no issues.

This morning, though, Wicket suddenly turned into a HUGE suck. He's normally pretty friendly but doesn't go over the top with purring and rubbing, and never uses his paws or mouth on us to get attention. This morning he was purring, rubbing, rolling around, snuggling right up, and actually mouthed me and grabbed my hand with his paws when I wasn't petting him enough! This went on for about an hour before he finally settled to sleep on his chair. Now he's just as peaceful as anything....

Anyone else experience delayed affectionate behavior with their cats after kenneling? The only other thing I can think of is that when we took them to the kennel, we had her decrease his food portions a bit compared to the kitten's, since she had an easy way to separate them for feeds (they were sharing two kennels but separated but a cat door), and that maybe he's just being a suck to try and get more food? He isn't any more whiny than he usually is for food (every time we're in the kitchen he comes and begs incessantly), just a huge amount more affectionate....

Not that I'm complaining, of course :D :kittyturn

See less See more
#3 ·
We sure missed them! But it was good to know they were well taken care of. I lucked out finding this lady, she's a gem and has a great little kennel set up for reasonable rates and always has lots of other cats to stay. Atlas even made a play pal, another lynx point siamese cross who could be his twin, and is about the same age!

Seriously, though, if I am half as anal about what my kids get to eat/where they play/stay when I eventually have them, they're going to be spoiled little rotters!

I'm hoping maybe Wicket will STAY this affectionate....but I know he probably won't.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.