How do you keep your indoor cats indoors? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

How do you keep your indoor cats indoors?

Aster and Cody are strictly indoor kittens and will become indoor cats but it hasn't been until now that they have gotten over the fear of the sound of the garage door when we get home. Usually they hide under the dining room table until we coax them to come out. Today Aster was sitting right in front I'd the door to the garage when I got home. She is a curious one, she has tried pushing her way through other doors of the house when we try to keep her out. Cody is the same way. We tried a spray bottle and it only makes them more curious. I am just worried one of these days they will bolt into the garage, or even worse, out the front door! They don't have any ID on collars ( we tried and they tried to get them off) and we are still debating if we should get them microchipped.

How do you make sure your kitties don't bolt out the door?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 11:48 PM
Premier Cat

Before you go out the door, you turn your back to it, and if the cats are near you ready to bolt by you, stamp your foot on the ground if they start to make a move. Say "stay", open the door behind you very little and ease your way out. If they move, stamp your foot on the floor in front of them and repeat "Stay". If one of your cats is really bold and insistent, gently tap on a paw with your foot if he moves after you say "Stay". They should get the idea, that it's futile to rush the door to try and get out. You'll have to be very consistent to go out the door each time this way until they no longer show interesting in trying to bolt. Good luck! Yes, it's good to have them microchipped. I prefer this type of I.D. to collars and tags.

Last edited by catloverami; 06-23-2011 at 11:51 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 12:01 AM
Cat

I'll tell you what they are sneaky lil devils.. I even had a stray bolt INTO my house that I had never seen before, I didnt even see her go in as I was walking out (throwing garbage away) I walked back in the house to find her in my living room and Cricket with his fur standing up crazily. She went back outside fast.. anyways, its not always the door you have to worry about.. when I was a teenager one of our cats used to rip the dryer pipe off and squeeze through the hole to get outside, and that is NO lie! Of course it took us awhile to figure out how the heck she was getting outside, but we eventually did

"Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God". ~Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 12:29 AM
Cat

I hiss at them...laugh if you want cause I do....lol....but they fully understand the hiss and soon understand that it is not acceptable behaviour to rush or sit at the door when I enter or leave.

It is a hiss like the mother cat gives as a warning...a deep chested one that is soft and grows if the kitten/cat ignores me...rarely do I have to get loud even with the semi feral fosters I take in.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 04:35 PM
Jr. Cat

Since they're young, it will just take time to train them. Lola waits for me to come home and is literally right inside the door when I open it. I started by saying "Back please" and pushing her behind the door with my leg. Now I can just say "Back please" and she take a few steps back so I can open the door without her rushing out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page