Looking for answers to litterbox evasion - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Looking for answers to litterbox evasion

Lately I have had a problem with Barnaby pooping outside the litter box every once in a while. It's usually a couple times a month only, and the box isn't dirty or unscooped when he does it.

We recently built a brand new house and shortly after we moved here he has used one and only one room in the house to do this, and it's never in the same place in the room. This is when I decided to put a box in that room but that didn't make a difference. He seldom ever did this in 10 years at the previous house.

Tonight he went 2 feet from the box and it was the stinkiest mushy rotten turd you could imagine. Anytime he leaves one of those in the box he doesn't cover it up which is another puzzling thing.

I don't believe he is associating any discomfort with the litter box because 99% of the time he goes in the box. I haven't changed the brand of litter and although I recently tried some different food for him, he was doing this well before that.

Puzzling.... any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 11:05 PM
Premier Cat

I've found the majority of cats if they do a mushy or loose stool they do not want to cover it up. The reason is that at one time they got the stool on their paws while covering a loose stool, and then disliked having to lick it off. So they just leave it.

You should take some of the fresh stool in to the vet to have it checked for worms or other parasites just to rule that out. The change to the another brand may have also caused that, so go back to the old one to see if the poop becomes normal. You might also try the Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract litter to see if that will keep him interested in using the box. It's difficult to know why he's doing this now when he didn't for 10 yrs. It could his way of scent marking the new house. Try cleaning the floor where he pooped with Nature's Miracle, available in pet stores. Whenever you do see Barnaby using the litter box, praise him lavishly. If he continues to do this a vet check should be done to rule out any medical condition. Hope you find something that works.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Well, the reason I changed food is that he had been vomiting almost daily. I went with a sensitive stomach food and it seemed to fix that, but the loose stool is something that would happen about once a month no matter what food I was giving him.

I clean all the spots with Equalizer which I get from Revival Animal Health and he never goes in the same spot but continues to use only that room to go on the carpet. It almost seems like scent marking but he had never done that before so why all of a sudden in a new house?

Thanks for the reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 12:54 PM
Premier Cat

I think for that reason....it is a "new" house, and doesn't have his scent or any other's in it.

As for changing food, do it very gradually. Most digestive upsets or loose stools can be avoided if the new food is added a little at a time over the course of 4-5 days. Pure canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling with added sugar) can help stool firm up or make softer, try adding 1 tsp. to canned food. You should still have the stool checked out by a vet for parasites.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page