Need some advice with sudden aggressive behaviour - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Need some advice with sudden aggressive behaviour

We have two cats that are sisters from the same litter. They are about 9 years old, and both spayed. As we live in an upstairs flat, they are indoor cats. They are both nervous cats (they hide when the doorbell rings), and particularly dislike small children. We have three grandchildren who visit regularly, and have over the years had to be careful when the cats and children interact. This has generally been successful apart from the occasional swipe out by one or other of the cats if cornered by a child.
This changed yesterday when we believe one of the cats was cornered by our one year old grandson. The other cat then attacked our grandson quite viciously, whilst the first cat cowered in the corner. Both cats then ran away whilst the baby was treated for quite a few nasty scratches (fortunately up to date on Tetanus).
Since then it seems like a major feud between the two cats. They are staring at each other hissing. This occasionally escalates to a full out fight. We kept them apart overnight, but the feud is just as strong this morning.
All of this behaviour is unusual as generally these are the most placid of cats. They occasionally have a “handbags at dawn” fight, but usually five minutes later they are gently grooming each other, or cuddled up together asleep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 06:57 AM
Cat Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to my5kitties
Next time your grandchildren come over, make sure that the one year old is either completely supervised with the cats, or keep him away from them. Did your grandson do anything to the cat that would have provoked such a vicious attack? At that age, children don't know to be gentle with animals unless they are specifically taught to do so. I hope that neither you nor the child's parents tried to severely discipline the cat who attacked. She felt threatened and did the only thing that she could.

----------
Renée
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 03:15 PM
Tom Cat

each of my sons got a nasty scratch on their face once and ONLY once as tiny children. So the issue with the child is probably solved but I agree with Renee, you MUST give those cats a safe place when you have grandkids over.
The two cats together; now one is saying, YOU really freaked me out. I don't trust you.
Hopefully with time they will calm down. It might take a really long time but try to give positive reinforcement when they are quiet.
I'm going on 2 years now with two of my cats who have issues. I see some improvement, but one still disturbs the other just by being there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page