Apollo's aggression is getting worse. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Apollo's aggression is getting worse.

I don't know what else to do, seriously. I know it hasn't been over even a few days since I first started posting about his issues. He is slowly turning into a happier, almost mellow cat. That stupid cat dancer/charmer has made him one super happy cat. It's like he just can't resist it.

Anyhow, he found a hidey-hole in my bottom cabinet where my pots are, he really loves it in there so I cleared a whole side for him. I was worried at first, since he figured out how to open the cabinets by scratching/hanging on them, and I don't want him under the sink with all the cleaners. I tied them off and he tore the crap out of them. Destroying my stuff is one thing, but my apartment, that's another story. I just let him get in the cabinets that are safe now.

If I come near any places he's "hiding" in, he lunges at me and attacks. I caught him chewing on my books again, and he actually tore one of my favorite books to pieces.. Well, it was bad. I sat on the floor and tried to coax him out with a toy. He seemed interested, but as soon as he was close enough to my hand, he bit me and wouldnt let go. My knuckle is swollen and I can barely bend it.

As I walk through my apartment, he walks directly between my feet and rubs against my legs. He was purring and being sweet, so I just nonchalantly leaned down to pet him, and next thing I know, he is wrapped completely around my arm, all claws, back and front, are dug in deep in my skin and his teeth had broken skin. I couldn't pull him off me, he was STUCK. I tried tapping his nose, that made it worse. I couldn't even just relax my arm in hopes that he would fall off of me. I had to scruff him hard enough for him to lose his grip. I have many swollen, bloody gashes up my hand and arms.

I feel terrible for having to do that, but I literally had no other choice at that point.

He's still coming up to me at random and latching onto my arm. Whatever I do, he comes right back for more.

I mean, what is it that I'm doing wrong here? A lot of times, when he attacks me, I just stick him in my bedroom with some toys for about 5 minutes and he comes out in good spirits.

I don't get it. For the most part, I dont even give him any affection unless he comes to me for it AND he doesnt have that crazy look in his eyes.

Did I manage somehow to make him scared of me? He's shown a LOT of improvement with his "issues" recently, but the aggression is really worrying me.

Sorry again for the excessively long post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 02:13 AM
Jr. Cat

Have you tried the a high pitch sound sort of like a cry and see what he does? I do this with Tinkerbell and it gets her attention and I can grab a toy for her to beat up on and bite. Then I just walk away from her. Also when Tinkerbell gets some where I can't get her I get the laser pen light out and shine it on the floor of where she is and omg does she come out fast and it's all play after that. I really find using distractions seem to be the best way to handle my kitten.

Tinkerbell Taz&Mija Myron
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Any kind of loud noise when he's in attack mode just makes it worse. He'll tense up his whole body and it's harder to get him off me. I've tried everything from snapping my fingers next to his face, blowing on his face, "shhshing" at him, even trying to get him to latch onto a toy instead of me doesn't work. I have let out a cry to let him know that he's hurting me, and still nothing.

He hates the sound of plastic crinkling, like a water bottle, and that seems to be a somewhat effective way to keep him from tearing my blinds to pieces and my curtains, but if he's actually attached to my arm, the only thing I can do is shake him off me which winds up hurting me more than anything else.

I need a new laser pointer - my last one only lasted 2 months, lol. Toys and things really do get his attention when he's somewhere he shouldn't be, but the game just continues when he keeps going back again and again as if it's a part of playtime.

I can deal with him being a pain and doing stuff just for attention, but this violence has got to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 03:57 PM
Cat Addict

How old is Apollo? Miu is almost 2 and her 'violence' is not completely gone, but diminished a great deal. I could be just the age factor.

Anyways, the cabinets. Have you tried a child safe lock?
http://content.onestepahead.com/asse...il/14874_1.jpg

Was he declawed? Declawed cats tend to bite more often.

Unfortunately, sometimes it's hard to 'discipline' or shape a cat's behavior. The only thing I can suggest is to avoid the triggers that you recognize. You say that he does the arm latching thing sometimes if you bend down to pet him. Stop petting him.

For the other times that he does it at random, honestly, I'm not sure what to suggest. Sometimes, subtle things can set a cat on edge and it's hard to tell. I'm sorry I can't be or more help.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

He's about 20 weeks now. I am hoping he will grow out of it, but he's been at it since I first got him. [[I have an appointment on the 24th to have him neutered and get his shots and all that good stuff. I know, I know. Should've done it sooner.]]

No, he isn't declawed. I trim his nails once a week. And I've almost completely stopped petting him unless he comes to me specifically for snuggles, or if he's asleep, I can't help but give him kisses, lol. That causes no issues at all if he's sleeping.

Cats definitely are crazy creatures. I wish I knew what it is that sets him off at random. I don't provoke him, torment or hurt him with my arms or hands so it's kind of a mystery as to why he feels the need to do that.

Oh and for the child locks - I am going to think about it. I don't know if I should just move all the cleaners to a closet, if he's going to scratch the crap out of my cabinet doors trying to get in.. It's funny that this 6lb ball of fur and fury has taken over my whole apartment and I've had to rearrange and remove a whole lot of stuff just to keep him happy. Jerk! Lol. Ah what the heck, I love him for it anyway
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 04:38 PM
Cat Addict

OH, not neutered yet. Well, that may make a difference in the aggression level. It takes a bit of time for the male hormones to leave his system, but he should be furthered mellowed up after that.

It's great that he lets you trim his nails. At least that cuts down on injury for you during the latching sessions. I used to have it where Miu will suddenly bite me in the middle of a cuddling session and she's the one who initiated it in the first place!

Yah. cats are pretty weird too. Something you never thought of, can be the trigger. Even a new piece of furniture can make them feel anxious. It's doesn't necessarily need to be a direct action on your part.

HAHA...6lbs? Yah. Miu is approx 7-8lbs and when she gets angry...oh you don't wanna know.

Yeah, I had to make a lot of changes to my household to make it cat proof. Also cats are such individual creatures that not all methods will work for all cats. You have to figure out their own 'buttons'. Ah...speaking of which, have you tried citrus smells? Miu wasn't afraid of citrus when she was a kitten, but somehow after she became an adult, she disliked it. You could use that as a deterent if you need to. Maybe rub some lemon scented stuff on the cabinet doors? Although not sure if it'll stain it.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Oh yeah, I get bitten in the middle of a short cuddle session when he initiates it too sometimes, lol. He does actually give me little love bites on occasion, which I don't mind at all. It's when he tries to crush my bones that I have a problem lol. He is deceptively strong, that one.

He is growing fast - he will be 7-8lbs soon, lol. I really hate that he has figured out that he's big enough to jump from the floor to on top of my book shelf and on top of my tv stand. He ALMOST knocked over m 32inch flat screen TV the other day. May I just say grrrrrrrrr? Lol

I've never really noticed if he's been offended by any smells in particular. He gets into everything, so it's rare to notice if he isn't a big fan of something. (He does get offended when I scoop his litter box. He does not like it one bit and tries to attack me every time. Why would he be all possessive over his poos?) He doesn't even like catnip! What kind of cat doesn't go crazy over catnip?? I might have to test out some scents then.. It's worth a try, lol.

[Sidenote, he isn't a fan of catnip, but any time I break out a beer, he is in my face trying to drink it. Excuse me Sir, but you are not old enough, nor human enough, to be trying to bogart my beer!]
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 11:48 AM
Premier Cat

You need to get this pushy aggressive guy neutered ASAP, or it will only get worse. His attacking and biting are a result of his testosterone hormones, and it will take a few weeks to leave his body. Not ever male is an attacker and biter like yours, but he sounds like he has a very dominant temperament to go with it, as shown by his "resource guarding" (protecting his hiding places). Also right now he's in a very bratty teenager, push-the-limits stage and should grow out of that around his first birthday. As far as attacking you while scooping the litter, I would lock him out of the room where the litter tray is.....close the door, if you have one or put him in another room with a toy or treat until you've finished the job.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 12:02 PM
Premier Cat

Just wanted to add that I hope you're taking care of any scratches, cuts, punctures immediately with soap and water and antibiotic cream like Neosporin. You can get a nasty infection and even blood poisoning from untreated cat bites, so be extra careful. If you develop heat or swelling at the site, get to your doc or a clinic fast.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Yeah, like I said, he has an appointment to go on the 24th to get neutered. I wish I could do it sooner, but I just can't. I have some doc appointments, my mom is coming in from Alaska, lots of plans.

He's been pushy, and has tested my patience since the day I got him. Only it really has gotten worse. It seems like since the other day, all of the progress he made.. It just seems like we're back at square one.

I live in a pretty small apartment. He has lots of toys and things to climb. But he's forever bored, so he gets into things he shouldn't be in and he's constantly testing me. He knows he isn't supposed to be in my bookshelf, which I blocked off completely with books and blu rays and anything I can find, but if I am not directly playing with him, he runs over to the bookshelf, knocks as many books and movies off as he can, and then takes off running to find another place he can knock stuff out of.

I might have made a huge mistake, but I had no other ideas, so I finally took him outside to roam and explore. He does great in his harness, and it only took him like 10 minutes to feel comfortable enough to explore. We were out for a good half hour, and once I took him inside he flipped out. Howling, screeching, scratching at the door, jumping on the counter and knocking over everything in his way to get to the window. He broke 4 blinds trying to get out of the window - which is caulked, painted and nailed shut. I kept putting him back on the floor, and finally he got so angry that he jumped from the floor to my shoulder, while I'm wearing a tank top, mind you.. And he didn't quite make it so he slid down my back, nails stuck in my skin. I couldnt reach him so it was a painful process.

He's locked in my room for now. Toys, food, water and a couple treats, until he calms himself down. I know he wants back out, and I probably shouldn't have taken him out in the first place.

Also, I've gone through 2 small first aid kits recently. A whole tube of neosporin is gone. Heh. Most of the gashes/scratches have gotten a little swollen and uncomfortable, but there's been no signs of infections, thankfully. I can't reach the new ones on my back, but I did wash them with soap and water.

Gah, what a pain in the butt!

Last edited by Shenanigans; 08-04-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page