Wanted to post an update on our household, it's been a while. We have an 8 1/2 year old female, Phoebe Jean, and two year old Bengal boys, Phineas and Phaelan. Relatively little progress in their relationship over the 9 months we have had the boys, but odd flashes of tolerance.
- All cats use the same litter box, not one "outside the box" incident from any of the cats
- Cats use common water and food bowls
- All cats can sleep in the same room during the day, and roam free together during the workday (we are 9-5ers)
- Still confine the boys to a room at night with water, food and litter, otherwise there are smackdowns, hissing, growling from Phoebe Jean
- Phoebe Jean is as affectionate with us as ever when the boys are in their room.
- Phoebe Jean growls immediately upon seeing one of the boys, and stays in a corner of our master most of the day (this is an improvement from the closet). She does sleep on top of the bed sometimes, usually until one of the boys surprises her
- We feed the cats separately, have tried together but if she even knows they are out, she won't eat.
- We have gotten all three cats to play together, and reward with treats
Phin and Phaelan are now the same size as Phoebe Jean, and even as neutered males, are very energetic and spirited cats. Phoebe Jean used to harrass our now deceased cat Phantom in the ways the boys sometime harrass her, but she cannot tolerate it the way he did.
Tried Feliway diffusers, and that didn't make a dramatic difference. Just got a prescription on advice of our vet for a medication called Amitriptyline, which will come in a syrup form (she will not tolerate a pill) and ideally be a short-term way to calm her nerves.
Does anyone have any experience with this drug? Or other solutions for cats that don't get along? We are not willing to start from scratch with re-introducing the boys, I hate confining them as much as we do now.
Gratitude in advance for any and all thoughts!