Starting the introduction - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Starting the introduction

Maya has been with us for 11 days as of today.

Her behavior improved a lot. She is often waiting by the door when we come in and she meows when we enter. She is seeking attention, rubbing on our legs when we come in. We can brush her and pet her but only on the head. Yesterday, she started climbing on us to nap in our laps. She did it for 30 minutes on me while I was reading a book in her room.

There is still some hissing though when we feed her and give her water. I guess she might be scared that we'll leave with her food and never come back! lol

She is often looking under the door when Patch and Treize are there. Yesterday we started playing with all of them with a toy on a fish pole on one side of the door. We played a little bit from Maya's side then switched to be with the boys. They all "played together" nicely for a couple of minutes. We repeated the exercise this morning with a mouse. Patch and Maya even touched paws a couple of time.

Treize was more looking than playing but I'm not really scared about Treize's reaction. He used to live with 9 other cats when we adopt him and he is the sweetest thing in the world. I'm more worried about Patch (he is more territorial).

None of the three cats growled or hissed at the others since Maya's arrival 11 days ago. Even when they are "face-to-face" under the door. I take it as a good sign... what do you guys think?

So we are officially starting the slow introduction today! We'll start by switching scents with blankets. I kept one of Treize's and one of Patch's blanket in my closet and I will bring them in Maya's room. I'll then take the towel that was inside Maya's carrier and put it in the living room for the boys to smell it.

Wish us luck... I would really love to see the three cats getting along. Or at least tolerate each others!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 06:39 PM
Banned

Welcome and congratulations on your new cat! Sounds like things are going great. They seem that they are getting adjusted to each oter already.

I personally have never done a slow introduction with cats. No one ever told me you were suppose to. I just brought the new cat home and let them go. Never had a fight at all. All my cats have always gotten along with each other.

Good luck. It sounds like you are on the right track.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

The switching of scents went well!

Patch and Treize inspected carefully Maya's carrier and towel. I guess they decided it was ok since Patch started sleeping on her towel after the inspection...

Maya also inspected each of the boys' blankets. She decided Treize's blanket looked more comfy.

There was no hissing, growling or swatting from any of our three cats.

They are playing more and more together under the door. Here is Patch trying to a mouse that Maya is playing with:

I think we will let Maya out of her room this afternoon (while the boys will be locked in our closed bedroom) to let her explore the apartment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 10:54 AM
Premier Cat

Your kitties are gorgeous and Maya is absolutely stunning! It sounds as if things are going very well and the room exchange is a good idea. I'd also feed them on either side of Maya's door (if you're not already doing so) and, today, I'd open the door a few inches...enough so they can see each other and perhaps play footsies, but not enough so any of the cats can get through the opening. Use something on either side of the door (door stoppers if you have them, or something small/heavy) to make sure none of the cats can open the door (or just stand there holding the door open a few inches if you don't have anything that would work). See how that goes. Good luck!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

For the past two days, we let Maya explore the entire apartment for 1 hour at a time while the boys were locked in our bedroom. She explored everything and smelled everything that belongs to the boys. It went well, no hissing/growling.

We also opened the door of her room a few inches today to let the cats see each others. They all saw each other a couple of times today and it went well. Our boys are really interested by Maya. They want to go in her room and they put their paws through the door. Maya isn't that much interested in them... she just sits there and look at them. She doesn't try to touch them. At least, there was no hissing/growling!

We don't know yet what we will do for the next step (tomorrow)...

I think we will put the boys in their carrier and let Maya explore the place. Or maybe put Maya in her carrier in her room and let the boys in? What would be the best? Other ideas?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

We put Patch in his carrier in the living room tonight and we let Maya explore. She hisses a couple of times at the carrier but that was it. She didn't mind his presence after that.

Unfortunately, Treize and Maya met in the hallway before we had the time to put Treize in our bedroom. They both hissed at each other and Treize growled but he kept walking. Maya run back to her room.

The reason why we wanted to put Treize in our bedroom is that we don't think it would be a great idea to put Treize in his carrier to present him to Maya. When he is in his carrier he just screams and growls. It wouldn't make a good intro...

I guess we'll put Maya in her carrier tomorrow night and let the boys explore her room.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Pictures of Maya exploring:

Meeting Patch:

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 08:12 PM
Senior Cat

Great pictures! She is gorgeous!

My cat Gatito is like a combination of Patch's colors and Maya's long hair and body structure. All your kitties are beautiful!

Sounds like you're doing great. Patience and persistence are key when introducing cats. Hissing is normal, don't worry. They will all be friends in short time!

Keep it up and keep us posted! Thank you for those pics
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 08:26 PM
Cool Cat

I live in a studio (1 big room) apartment and can't really introduce slowly. Luckily I've never had fights with any of my residents and fosters.
Paizly does hiss and growl when anybody (including me, sometimes!) gets too close, but she's just a cranky old woman anyway!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

We put Maya in her carrier tonight to let the boys explore her room.

That wasn't really a good idea... Maya wasn't happy to be in her carrier and she hissed all the time. Treize was too scared and ran away. Patch explored a little bit her room but he wasn't really fond of the hissing cat in the carrier !

So well...

I think we are back to putting the boys in their carrier and letting her explore.

When will we know when it's the right time to let them meet face-to-face? Would it be better to just let them meet and see how it's going? (since none of them likes to be kept in their carrier)

She has been with us for 15 days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page