Austin acting...a little off? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Austin acting...a little off?

Hi everyone

My cat Austin (11 months old) has been acting strange today, totally out of the blue.

I've been away working all week and when I got home my brother said he had been acting strange since midday, just randomly crying like he's in pain - happened about 3 times?

When I got home he approached me to say hello then retreated and started crying, I went to stroke him and he let me but his pupils were dilated. My brother said he had eaten fine in the morning but since then had not really touched his food much. I offered him a little milk which he took but he didn't have much.

I left him alone for half an hour then went back to him on the sofa and started making a fuss of him, he was purring and appeared ok.

He's now sat on my bed relaxing, but his pupils are still dilated - He just doesn't seem right.

He has a habit of chasing and trying to eat wasps/fly's and I'm wondering if he's eaten something he shouldn't have.

I'm going to monitor him closely over the next 24 hours to see how he is, if he's the same then it's off to the Vet's for Austin (Which he hates!)

Any ideas? maybe I'm panicking over nothing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 03:21 PM
Premier Cat

Has he peed in his litter box? If you have not seen him pee in his box, or if he is going to his box a lot and not being able to pee, and he's licking his genital area, you need to take him to the vet right away as he may have a UTI or bladder problem. A lot of inappropriate meowing is often a cat's way of telling you something is amiss. Dilated eyes also may indicates something's amiss physically.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Hmm, he's been using his litter just fine. He's in my face purring as I type (Get off the frigging keyboard Austin!). Eyes still dilated though and his Meoww is a little weird lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

I think I'm getting to the bottom of his issue. I tried to feed him some meat and he wanted to eat it but couldn't seem to open his mouth enough to grab any (Hence he was ok licking up the milk) - I could be wrong but I think he's been stung by something in his mouth (Probably a wasp as he tried to eat them!)

I'll monitor him but if it is just a sting he should be ok in the morning, if he's still unable to chew then I'll have to take him to the vets
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 04:23 PM
Premier Cat

That sounds like the wasp stung him. Hopefully he learned his lesson to leave wasps alone....often that's all it takes is a sting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page