Getting into cords - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Getting into cords

My little girl is just over a year old. She's occasionally gotten into my computers cords before, but only when I was sitting at the computer (I guess my presence was a sign it was time to play). Since I primarily use my laptop, it hasn't been much of an issue.

Lately, though, she's going after them all the time. She's also trying to get to the cords behind the TV, but I have those pretty well blocked off.

I've tried water in a spray bottle. I think she enjoys it. I've tried citrus sprays. The smell only deters her for maybe 30 minutes tops. She's batting the cords with her paws/claws, not chewing on them, so I don't think that anything bitter tasting would help. Those are the suggestions I was able to find online.

I'm getting so frustrated. Yesterday I just lost it and yelled at her, which I never do, and she hissed at me. She's never done that before. She was over it 10 minutes later but I still feel like a jerk. It's not her fault. She's just being a cat. But I don't want her to get hurt, and I can't afford to replace any of the equipment if she breaks something. I just don't know what else to try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 06:14 PM
Premier Cat

You might try Ssscat! It's a motion-detector spray. Worked for my cats to keep them off the kitchen counters or other areas.

Pets stores and Amazon.com carry it, and prices vary, so shop around.

Ssscat Automated Cat Deterrent - Repellents - Cat - PetSmart
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 06:16 PM
Jr. Cat

I put baby cord protectors over some of my wires. You can find them at babies r us or online.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 04:51 PM
Cat Addict

Could also be that she's not getting enough of an outlet for her energies. Might be trying to get your attention or need to wear her out with some interactive playtime.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 05:07 PM
Tom Cat

I was concerned about that when Midnight, the wild cat, first started staying in the garage during blizzards and -30 degree weather. The cords for his water dish and the heater have wire covers but he has expressed no interest in anything else in the garage. Cord protectors probably good insurance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page