New dog is freaking out one of my cats *pics* - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

New dog is freaking out one of my cats *pics*

I adopted a beagle last week. She came from a high-kill shelter in Kentucky. I got her pulled the day before her stray hold was up; she would have been killed the next morning.

Though she is only 1, she is VERY low key. Extremely mellow, content to sleep on the couch all day unless we are out on a nice long walk, or if she is eating. We named her Lucy.

I have four cats. Rex and Meeko have taken to her. They will stand next to her when they are checking out what I'm doing, and will smell her ears and her tail. Lucy looks scared of THEM! She stands still and seems to be thinking "Oh god what are they going to do to me?"

Socks doesn't mind her, but doesn't go out of her way to be near her. She will tolerate Lucy's presence.

Jeremiah on the other hand, has pretty much been hiding on a dining room table chair that is covered by the table cloth. He comes out to eat (he's really overweight so I've been feeding him a little less since he's not expending any energy!) and sometimes will come out to hang out on the balcony (it is totally enclosed with walls on the side and front and a screen on the opening, no way for them to get out). Lucy hasn't tried to go near him. He has been a few feet away from her but hasn't hissed or made the really-mad grumble.

So-- about how much longer do you think it will take for Jerry to get used to the dog?

Thank you so much!

Here's little Lucy

And here's big-fat-fraidy-cat Jeremiah with his BFF Rex!

Last edited by marie73; 09-25-2011 at 06:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 11:08 AM
Ted
Cat

I absolutely love beagles...and Lucy is adorable.

I would say give Jeremiah some more time. Perhaps, after a while, as he sees his buddy Rex taking a liking to Lucy, he'll become more used to her and want to check her out himself.

It's good that Lucy isn't chasing him or barking at him. Consider yourself blessed that she's low-key.

Best of luck with your growing fur-family.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks very much, Ted. It seems like the universe needed us to adopt Lucy. Everything happened so fast! Colleagues of mine had her pulled and set up transport to Buffalo, and even paid for ALL of her vetting. Her temperament is perfect for us since she's so laid back and seems to have no bad habits (aside from dining on a few pieces of cat poo, which we are working on). She is housebroken and has been VERY easy to train. She only barks when we crate her when we go out, but only when she knows we are still around. Then she quiets down. Can you imagine, a quiet beagle?? I think she may have been abused :-/ We really are blessed to have her.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Meeko, Socks, Jeremiah, Rex,
Lucy the beagle: my children
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 02:24 PM
Cool Cat

I am so glad you were able to save Lucy and she looks so sweet. The cats are going to need more time. You could use positive reinforcement with the scaredy cat using treats and pets. It took my cats a while before they got used to my boyfriend's dog. Eventually they all were able to hang out in one room together without any problems. Good luck and congrats on your new addition!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 11:50 PM
Cat

It is great that you rescued a beagle.
Give the cats a little time to get use to Lucy. I am sure the fraidy cats will come around. It is good that Lucy isn't aggresive towards the cats.

My son moved in with us with his 2 kids. He adopted a beagle to present to the grandson as a Chistmas present. A week before Christmas my second cat showed up here. On Christmas day I let the new kitty out of the saferoom. The beagle came to sniff the new cat and the cat didn't respond at all. When the old Chihuahua approached the new Kitty she promptly gave him a swat across the face. We have had no problems at all since.
When my first cat came to me, we had a Yokie, Jack Russle and the old Chihuahua. The cat and Yorkie were the best of friends. The Jack would often join in on the play.

I was raised around Beagles. Don't know how old you are, but general speaking they make a great pet for a young kid. They will take the abuse of a toddler. They are not stupid just bulheaded like most hounds.

My cats aren't spoilt, Just well loved.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 12:08 AM
Jr. Cat

what a cutie! all of them!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 10:56 PM
Kitten

Sorry, I don't really have much to offer other than it will probably take time- but gee, that is one cute pup! She's a lucky girl!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page