Step backward between Teq and Lumen - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Step backward between Teq and Lumen

Things were going so swimmingly at the end of my "Purring doesn't ALWAYS mean happy, right?" thread..

Tequila (10 yo neutered male) is swatting, hissing, at Lumen (~4 yo spayed female) if she walks by too closely to him. Lumen is doing nothing other than walk by. Granted, other times Lumen will taunt Teq, but not always, and certainly not a minute ago when it just happened now.

Background:
- Teq was an only-cat at his first family; he lived there from kitten-hood until three years ago (at age 7) when I took him.
- One year ago, I adopted Lumen, and introduced them properly over two weeks separating and then gradually introducing. They got along fine save the occasional swat and hiss - always from Teq.
- they have lived together, as I've said, one full year.
- 85% of the time, they're fine; they groom each other (when they greet me together at the door, when they wait together for food, when they are feeling happy). They generally stay out of each other's way though. 15% of the time, they're wrestling/Lumen taunting/Tequila getting mad as ****. I think it's the age difference; L is a playful happy little thing and Teq is my grumpster.
- My main confusion - the reason for this post - Lumen will just get too close to him and she'll take a beating for no apparent reason from Teq. Teq will just be laying there, and then lunge at Lumen.

Should I go back to separating them again, even though they've been together for so long now? My heart says no but my head says yes.

Christine

Last edited by blondie1483; 09-08-2011 at 05:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

And today, they're sharing the sunbeam like nothing is wrong. You can't see in the first or second picture - but I took a close up in the third: Teq's paw is resting against L's tail. So they're ok today. What gives?

Christine
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 04:37 PM
Premier Cat

So what gives? Who knows! Sometimes it isn't apparent what causes these little tiffs, but if you're getting 85% that they're "being fine", I think that's very good and I wouldn't worry about it, pretty normal behavior I'd say. Sometimes on reflection after a quarrel, it comes to you what was the cause. e.g. My boy Zuba is somewhat jealous if he thinks Alkee is getting more attention than he is, by me talking to her or letting her sit on my lap. Then after she gets down he will go after her to start a play-fight. Fortunately, none of these tiffs has ever developed into a no-holds-barred screaming fur-flying fight. For the most part they get along well, cuddle together and groom each other. It's mostly Zuba that instigates them, but if he's been a bit nasty, then she will get back at him usually later in the day. It's really quite comical, I think. I don't interfere or interrupt the playfights. It may be due to boredom. So I'll wait a bit after a playfight then get out an interactive fishing-pole toy....not right after, as I don't want them to associate "let's have a playfight and then we get to play games". (lol)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Alright, your Zuba and Alkee sound very much like Teq and Lumen. so perhaps i dont need to worry about separation.. I'm not really wanting to separate them so this is good.

Christine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page