Should I be worried? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Should I be worried?

My cat is about 3 years old. We've had him for a year, and as two nights ago I noticed him licking himself really hard and noisily and then he takes off running at top speed. It was particularly noticeable last night around 11pm or so. I've been watching him this morning and he licks his chest then down his front paws and then takes off. Then sometimes he'll lick his back legs or his back and take off like a shot. He's been sitting quietly for the last half hour or so, but I assume he'll do it again at some point.

It's very out of character for him. It seems to me that something is irritating him and that's why he's doing it, but I have NO idea what it might be. Anyone here had their cat act this way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 11:48 AM
Cool Cat

Whenever mine have gotten fleas they acted that way. Is he on a regular flea treatment/medication?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 12:11 PM
Tom Cat

It does sound like something is irritating him, and he's moving to try to get away from it maybe? Is he just licking, or nibbling too? One spot more than another?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 12:43 PM
Premier Cat

My first thought was fleas as well. My ex husband's cat always did that when fleas would start to appear in the house.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Swimkris, my husband mentioned it might be fleas, and no we don't have him on a regular flea medication or treatment.

Fyreflie, I've not seen him nibbling or biting at all. I did see him scratch his neck once today, which I've never noticed before either. Otherwise it's just the hard licking and he's licking different places. Sometimes it's just his down the front legs and chest, other times it's his back and other times it's his back legs, and then running like he's being chased by something.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 03:43 PM
Banned

Look under the chin for fleas also on the belly.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 04:59 PM
Cool Cat

Sounds like fleas to me too. Sherbert would do this the moment fleas appeared. he would lick a spot, or several spots then take off like a shot. repeat.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 09:42 PM
Cool Cat

Pick up a flea comb (a really fine metal comb) & give him a good brushing. If you see any fleas or flea dirt (black specks that turn red when you put them on a wet paper towel), then you'll want to give him a bath with some dawn dish soap & rinse thoroughly. Then treat him with your preferred flea treatment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page