Jack is very jealous of new dog... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Jack is very jealous of new dog...

So jack has done fine with dogs in the past, has lived with them and never shown any signs of jealousy.. but none of them were "my" dogs...

This dog is more "my" dog then any other dog thus far... anyways.. jack is being severely jealous and its literally not healthy for him, me or the dog.

Its only day one but the first incident was jack noticed the dog came up and they sniffed each other, jack then decided to be all cute rolling on the ground, paws up chirping and acting like he wanted to play, dog came over to sniff again and jack seemingly was laying a trap.. he hissed and took a swipe at the dog but did not run..

Fast forward to the "charging" - I was walking the dog and the cat was with me well he kept wanting my attention and i was not ignoring him but i had to pay attention to the dog too, jack decided to out of the blue chase the dog hair up hissing, this freaked the dog out...

Also in this photo, you see them being together, jack also completely randomly right after the photo charged the dog again, he stops though when he gets to him, its like he is trying to dominate the dog vs the dog being alpha over the cat.

The dog is not fixed but will be shortly, going to have a discussion with family about siring him out once then fixing, or just fixing. He's purebred and papered and I rescued him from a kill situation.

Jack has just been "grumpy" today, he came up for attention and i gave it to him but he left a little quicker then normal, and on the bed i went o pet him and he gave me his mad meow several times which is NOT normal.

Oh and he also blocked the doorway from the dog on purpose.. the dog went out of the room to get some water and my cat was on the bed with the dog at the time he saw this and immediately jumped down to the door and laid where the door was, he never hissed or anything at the dog just gave him this mean ass stare. The dog is far more nervous of the cat at this point, I have a lot of hope for them getting along and my cats jealousy to go away with proper attention, but has anybody else ever experienced this? Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0911111343a.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	3429  

Last edited by marie73; 09-25-2011 at 06:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 01:57 AM
Cat Addict

It sounds a lot like the way my dog acts towards my cat... sometimes she'll guard the stairs or hallways, not aggressively, but still trying to block Blacky and she'll also run right up to Blacky at times - Blacky could care less so the dog just stops in front of her looking stupid. The dog has done it her whole life (dog's 11 and cat's ~10+) but the cat is used to it and trusts the dog so it isn't a big deal. The dog still likes Blacky well enough, they're just never going to be cuddle friends, as much as Blacky might not mind the idea but the closest the dog wants to get is maybe somewhere on the same bed. Sometimes even that is too close.

As long as the cat isn't actually swatting at your dog I wouldn't worry too much. The dog should get used to the cat's behavior as long as no harm is being done. The cat also might get used to the dog and stop acting this way, it's hard to tell.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Last edited by Carmel; 09-12-2011 at 02:02 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 08:46 PM
Jr. Cat

Unless the dog is a finished champion or you will be showing him, he needs to be neutered. Breeding him will awaken behaviors that will not go away after he is snipped and will make him difficult to live with as a pet especially as he is a working breed. I know this from experience. : )
Dogs and cats need to be introduced just like two cats, but usually accept each other faster from what I have experienced
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmom View Post
Unless the dog is a finished champion or you will be showing him, he needs to be neutered. Breeding him will awaken behaviors that will not go away after he is snipped and will make him difficult to live with as a pet especially as he is a working breed. I know this from experience. : )
Dogs and cats need to be introduced just like two cats, but usually accept each other faster from what I have experienced
I've always just let my animals establish alpha/pack order by just throwing them together, Jack handles dogs very well, just been a little stressed by this one cuz its an immediate sharing of the bed, but they worked themselved to about 2 ft apart while sleeping so they are comfortable enough.

My cat pretty much controls the dogs movement if he wants, but is generally now letting him do his own thing.

Thanks for the comments on getting him cut, probably gonna do it within the next few weeks.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 02:34 AM
Jr. Cat

Sounds like they are doing well then! I also have a Jack, and he runs the dogs as well.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
Cat

I just realized, given the breed of dog I adopted, i may need to change my sig... lol!!!!!!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 04:34 PM
Cat Addict

Ha, Jack is certainly a popular name! I got a Jack Jack too! Although he is officially Cap'n Jack cuz he's a tuxedo, reminds me of a typical pirate ship cat. ..but I digress.

Anyways, yah. I think they're establishing pack order. The swiping and hissing doesn't sound like a precursor to a serious fight just Jack's way of communicating so I wouldn't worry if it were me.

I got Rocky the dog, Miu and Cap'n Jack are the kitties. Rocky was first, then I got Miu. At first Rocky had trouble figuring her out as she would hide and pounce him, but as soon as she lands in front of his face, she turns around and walks off as if nothing happened. She would also swipe him randomly. He used to tell her off with a bark or chase her. Now after 2 yrs, Rocky is so used to it that sometimes he'll just step aside when she swipes, or just kinda looks at her like she's dumb and walk away.

I think your furkids will be alright. Just need some time to get used to each other and find their place in the hierarchy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page