What to do about Butler. Nothing? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

What to do about Butler. Nothing?

Adopted Butler five months ago from a shelter. He is four years old and I believe we are his third home. He was adopted declawed. He displays various types of aggression and will lung and bite our upper thighs. Example: he will greet us with happiness when we return home, but after a couple of pets he is at our legs/thighs. Also, he does not allow us to pet him. He bites our hands and fingers. Our vet has placed Butler on Prozac and it has helped with some of his anxiety, but has not helped with the biting. I suffered a significant bite to my thigh a few months ago, and that is when we started the Prozac. We were following the excellent advise from this post, and there was harmony in our home, but I have reverted back to my old behavior in trying to show him love and affection. Here is the post from Hoofmaiden:

https://www.catforum.com/forum/37-beh...a-biter-2.html

Does anyone have any further advice? In spite of it all, we have grown to love Butler and are committed to him. We thought were were adopting an affectionate cat, as he did not display this behavior in the shelter. He is an only cat in our home, and the shelter reported he had to be an only cat, as he did not like the other ones there. Butler was in isolation most of his time at the shelter because of an upper respiratory infection. Any advice is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 03:27 AM
Premier Cat

Cats who are delawed will always be bitters. My own cat, who is declawed when stressed bites. There is nothing you can do about it. That is why declawing should be outlawed in our country. Maybe composure liquid would help, not stop, but help the level of aggression.

Shelters are full of delawed cats with issues. Most are euthanized in kill shelters. At No kill shelters they most likely live their lives out there. I thank you for taking this cat into your heart and home.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 07:17 AM
Cat

I respect the opinions of Mitts & Tess that I read on this forum, but I feel that I must disagree with the assessment that declawing must be the reason why this cat bites. While I do not agree with declawing, I also do not agree that cats that are declawed are always biters. This is very much an individual thing from cat to cat. In the past, before I knew better, I had declawed cats and they were NOT biters (other than as kittens before the declawing) EVER. I also have friends and relatives with declawed cats and they are not biters.

So, again, I'm not saying declawing is good; I just do not believe that all cats that are declawed are always biters.

I did have a non-declawed cat that was a biter. We got him from the breeder as a kitten. He was not abused. It took phenolybarbital (vet Rx, probably all that was currently available at the time) to calm him down enough to keep him from attacking. He never became a lovey cat, but we loved him anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 09:26 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitts & Tess View Post
Cats who are delawed will always be bitters.
I've adopted two declawed cats now, and neither of them were biters. They might have nipped a little bit if you pushed them too far, but so does evey cat, and it has always been a very soft little squeeze that didn't even come close to breaking the skin. Murphy is an especially affectionate, loving little guy. If someone hadn't adopted him because of being declawed, they would have missed out on having a cat who's a complete joy to have around.

I would hate for this rap on declawed cats to be passed around as gospel. For one thing, I'm not sure it's statistically true and another, isn't it a terrible commentary on humans that we would inflict this awful, painful thing on them and then consider them unadoptable because of it?

Holly and Murphy
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 11:44 AM
Cat Addict

I'm always surprised that in the country first in the world to grant citizen rights to great apes (and all that the US does for animal rights), declawing cats is still legal. I say I'm surprised because we always go after the US, and in this (only?) case, we are more advanced, as our country is now passing a law to prohibit declawing of cats. Sorry to barge in with this, I just couldn't help sharing the good news...

The Royal von Meouw Dynasty: His Royal Highness the late Prince von Meouw,
Her Royal Highness Princess Gatita von Meouw, Nikita Duchess of Meouw and
His Highness Cuchi-Cuchi, next in line for the throne of Prince von Meouw.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thank you for your replies. I have wondered it he may have been hit and that is why he is on the defensive. He will discipline us by attacking if we touch him. At time he will stalk us as if we are his prey and attack. I often have wondered if there is a different medicine that will help him. The Prozac has not helped with the biting, but I do not want him over-medicated. I think eventually, I will wean him off the Prozac.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitts & Tess View Post
Cats who are delawed will always be bitters.
Yeah, kind of a wide-sweeping generalization. I know several declawed cats that are sweet and kind and not biters.

Cali was my biter. Cute little brat!! Those baby teeth were sharp little swords!!!!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 06:08 PM
Premier Cat

I haven't tried any of the spirit essences, but have read other people have had success with them. Once Butler is off the Prozac for a while, you might want to try the Bully Remedy. Products
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 10:41 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Siamese View Post
I respect the opinions of Mitts & Tess that I read on this forum, but I feel that I must disagree with the assessment that declawing must be the reason why this cat bites. While I do not agree with declawing, I also do not agree that cats that are declawed are always biters. This is very much an individual thing from cat to cat. In the past, before I knew better, I had declawed cats and they were NOT biters (other than as kittens before the declawing) EVER. I also have friends and relatives with declawed cats and they are not biters.

So, again, I'm not saying declawing is good; I just do not believe that all cats that are declawed are always biters.

I did have a non-declawed cat that was a biter. We got him from the breeder as a kitten. He was not abused. It took phenolybarbital (vet Rx, probably all that was currently available at the time) to calm him down enough to keep him from attacking. He never became a lovey cat, but we loved him anyway.
I just did what I rag on my boyfriend for doing. Stereotyping! Sorry, you are right, everyone who posted about it. The people who declawed their cats and didnít have issues are very very lucky.

Iíve seen so many issues develop from declawing. The issue just isnít biting. That is a result. When you declaw a cat they can get arthritis, joint pain, post surgical complications from the surgery, litter box issues, a life of constant pain. Noted by the cat lifting the paw which hurts or crossing leg because the paws have constant pain.

To me declawing is like the problem of sexual abuse. It was swept under the rug for decades. Itís an ugly secret. No one wanted to admit the sheer numbers and down side to declawing. That is why there is a growing number of vets who refuse to do the surgery in our country.

There are over 25 declawed cats (and growing) at our little no kill shelter here. Many have been there for several years already. They are bitters and have little hope of getting a forever loving home which understands their issues and willing to put up with them. What kind of life do they have at the shelter, with being stuck in a room with 26 other cats. No one wants to go in and socialize in that room because they are so unpredictable and bite. Itís all so sad.

My views come from the many cats that I have come in contact with in rescue that were dumped and our rescue's problem of finding a home for them when they are declawed and bite. Itís a long shot.

Little Big Cat has many articles on declawing. This one is an overview of the issue. http://www.littlebigcat.com/health/declawing-a-rational-look/

Here are the scientific studies done on declawing. http://www.littlebigcat.com/declawing/declawing-and-science/

That is why Id do anything to keep a declawed cat in the home its in. To the point of medicating it with phenolybarbital, as Two Siamese mentioned, if that would give or keep it in a home. You are its only chance of a decent life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page