Teaching manners - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Teaching manners

I guess I was purty darn lucky with MowMow. He came with impeccable manners and was a complete sweetheart(when he's not giving me the pimp paw for some infraction). I wish I knew who raised him, I'd send the kitten there for baby boot camp.

The kitten on the other hand thinks nothing of climbing me like a tree and I've got huge amounts of claw marks and scratches to prove it.

I usually pluck him off by his scruff, tell him "ouch!" and set him on the ground but a split second later he's climbing me again. Am I doing it wrong or should I just be patient and trust that eventually, he'll get it?

He plays gently, and you can tell he's been taught not to nip. When he does he stops right away as if he expects some sort of reprimand but he's just NOT careful with his claws. I have to tread carefully when he's on me because if something scares him or I startle him he takes off at top speed, leaving deep bleeding grooves in my flesh on his way.

He's also got a liking for scratching his claws on the carpet. Each time he does it I carry him to an acceptable scratching post/cardboard scratcher and put his paws on it... will he EVENTUALLY get it or should I be doing something more?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 01:16 AM
Cat Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to my5kitties
Quote:
Originally Posted by MowMow View Post
He's also got a liking for scratching his claws on the carpet. Each time he does it I carry him to an acceptable scratching post/cardboard scratcher and put his paws on it... will he EVENTUALLY get it or should I be doing something more?
Do you have any horizontal scratchers? Smokey was my carpet scratcher until I got him a horizontal scratcher similar to this: PETCO Cat Cardboard Scratcher at PETCO. Best thing I ever could have gotten. Smokey loved his scratcher and never scratched the carpet again.

----------
Renée
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

I have the sisal on MowMow's cat Condo and also the cardboard incline scratcher.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 01:42 AM
Cat Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to my5kitties
Maybe Shepherd would do better with something that's completely horizontal. I would lean Smokey's scratcher so it would be inclined, but he would knock it down so it would lay flat. He didn't like it inclined. And that might be Shpherd's preference. It's worth a shot.

----------
Renée
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 03:25 AM
Cat Addict

Manners? You can teach those?

Becky, the proud momma of:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 04:51 AM
Super Moderator

The twinz taught Cleo bad manners.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 10:11 AM
Tom Cat

How about a round of SoftPaws? That way if he tries to climb you it won't be fun since he'll just slide right off. One round will likely only last about 4 weeks at his age - plenty time to form that understanding that climbing Mommy is pointless. And he won't be able to claw your carpet to pieces though he'll try. BUT when he does try that gives you a second or 3 to hiss at and correct him.

Since MowMow is well behaved and seems to inclined to help keep the kitten in line, I suspect you'll end up with a 2nd well behaved little one with a super devious side. lol Welcome to black kitty land!

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 12:28 PM
Kitten

SpellQ, you mentioned welcome to black kitty land. Are they known for being fiesty? I have a fiesty 'Shadow' on my hands. Mostly she is a sweetheart, but has her moments.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 01:58 PM
Cat Addict

IMO You're doing it right!

It's just patience and consistancy that will teach a kitten what is allowed and what's not allowed.

If you like you could teach the little cutie to sit when asked. That way when he's about to climb you looking for treats/food/attention you could instead ask for a sit and then give him something nice for that instead. I did this with Muffin and he learned very quickly to sit nicely and wait and he'd get much nicer things than if he climbed me!

I also agree with my4kitties about the scratcher. Muffin will use the vertical scratchers, but he much prefers a horizontal one. He wouldn't even use the cardboard tilted one at first, I bought him a sisal scratch mat and he loved it. Unfortunately for him it got ruined, but luckily he now will happily use the cardboard triangle one.

As far as the launch-pad scratches...not much you can do about that unfortunately. Since he's not actually thinking about playing with/tackling/scratching you, but rather they are a side-effect of him jumping off...I never successfully got the boys to stop that. They do it a lot less now, probably because I hollared pretty good a few times after being gotten on my stomach.
They DID learn not to rocket-butt off my face! They learned to keep those excited zoomies to the floor only after one lauched off my face. That hurt and I got some really odd looks at work until the scratches faded...*sigh* Kittens.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 02:03 PM
Premier Cat

Are you clipping his claws at least every couple of weeks? You can use ordinary nail clippers, and buff off any roughness with an nail emery board. Just be careful you don't cut too short. You don't want to nick the vein (quick) in the nail. Always give some treats after the clipping.

Just keep putting her down when she climbs with a stern "No". The SoftPaws may work...I've never used them but it sounds like a good idea.

To attract to a scratching post rub catnip in it every week. Some cats prefer horizontal cardboard scratchers, and I got one for Alkee as she wanted to scratch the carpet. She liked it but actually preferes an empty cardboard egg carton. Another idea is to buy a small doormat with hard twisted texture. She may prefer that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page