bumble's "bad" behaviour... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 04:32 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Unhappy bumble's "bad" behaviour...

my 9 weeks old kitten is recovering well from a bad start in life and is getting along ok with our 15 month old cat flo.
The only problem is now she seems constantly switched on. They play all the time, chasing and play fighting which is good for both of them. The only problem is when bumble comes for hugs she doesn't wind down even if she is falling asleep. 90% of the time if you stroke her, she will automatically put her paws out to pull your hand to her mouth and bite.
She will also attack anything -moving or still. Bumble will lay on my lower leg, 1 paw on either side and bite my leg.
I had hoped that more play time with flo would prevent this behaviour with us but i guess there is no definition between flo and us.
Does anyone know how to start changing this because as a kitten, its kinda cute but if it carries on as she gets older, will become a big problem.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 11:32 AM
Kitten

She is like that because she is still a baby, and stuck in play-mode. She will calm down after a few more weeks. For now, you should play with her, at least, for 10 minutes out of every hour, to tire her out. During "down-time," if she tries to bite you when you pet her, just walk away. She will learn, eventually, that if she wants lovin's, she'll have to be nice.
Good luck!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

thanks for that, i hoped it would be the case.
She's such a lovely kitten even when she's knawing on your arm. She has spent the entire day asleep because she was playing all night so she does have some down time at least. She gets lots of play time between me my boyfriend and flo so hopefully she'll start to calm a little over the next few weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 12:18 PM
Cool Cat

Also, I have read that when the cat bites, do not maintain any eye contact as you walk away. Then come back a few minutes later with an appropriate toy for her to bite. You want to teach the cat that it is not acceptable to bite your legs, fingers, toes, etc. but it is OK to bite a cat toy. My cats went through the biting stage when they were teething but eventually if you train them properly, they will outgrow this phase.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page