Skittish cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Skittish cat

My friend just got herself a new kitten! She is following introductions with her other cat by the book but she is having some problems because her new little guy (about 8 months old) is so skittish. I have never really dealt with a skittish cat before, so does anyone have any tips or articles that I could give to my friend? I would appreciate it, thanks.

Becky, the proud momma of:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 09:42 PM
Premier Cat

Muffs is very skittish, and that explains why I had such a difficult time introducing her and Abby. It would be helpful to know what kind of problems your friend is having. Not knowing that, all I can say for now is to take the introduction slowly.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 05:01 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

The poor dear runs and hides at every thing, so trying to even swap rooms becomes a day long activity.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 09:18 AM
Premier Cat

LOL…that brings back memories. When I first adopted Muffs, I thought about re-naming her “Underneath”, because that’s where I’d always find her… underneath the bed, or the coffee table, or my ottoman, or something else! She’d come out of hiding to play, eat and the like, but then she was back to hiding. It took her a few weeks before she started appearing out in the open on a regular basis, but the slightest little noise or anything new would send her back into hiding. She still has those tendencies today, although she's a lot better and more trusting than she once was.

I wouldn’t start the room exchanges until the new kitten is confidently walking around in his own safe room. Your friend should try to spend as much time as possible in the safe room (hopefully it’s not a bathroom!), playing with him or just working on her computer, talking on the phone, reading or whatever. To exchange scents in the meantime, perhaps try switching toys and other articles that have the scent of each respective cat on them. Also, feed each cat on either side of the safe room door (which your friend is probably already doing).

As I said in my first post, the introduction of a skittish cat (both to a new home and to a new cat) will likely go more slowly than most. Although that can be frustrating at times, just remember “this too will pass”, and the few extra weeks or months are a drop in the bucket relative to the next 15 or more years that your friend will have the cats.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Thanks Susan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page