Wanting attention then running away? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Wanting attention then running away?

My female cat Lilith is just over a year old, and she does this thing where she'll mewl pitifully for attention while I'm at the computer and then when I get up, she walks or runs away and hides in a corner or behind/under something so I can't reach her or pet her in most cases. Her tail is up the whole time so I don't know if this is a game or if she's trying to tell me something... anyone else's cat do this? I thought it might be that she wants to play but she usually doesn't go toward a toy. She just hides.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 05:46 PM
Kitten

Hi there,

If she was leading you to the same area every time I would assume that she is trying to tell you something. But because you said she is going to different areas every time, it sounds more like she is trying to play a game similar to "hide and seek" with you.

You could try to play along by searching her out when she hides, or by hiding yourself around a corner and peeking out to see if she comes to find you.

All cats like to play differently, so this is likely Lilith's way of telling you what game she wants to play.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 07:24 PM
Cool Cat

Athena does this. I think it is a form of play. I sometimes do it back to her by poking my head around a corner, and then quickly hiding so she can't see me. I do this a few times repeatedly and she comes charging at me with a meow...and then veers off and runs away again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 07:45 PM
Premier Cat

MowMOw does the same thing when he wants to play. He cries and cries and cries and when I come into the room he bounds off for me to chase him.

THe kitten hadn't witnessed this yet until this past weekend. He jumepd up on the back of the couch and watch in amazement as MowMOw and I chased each other all over the apartment. He *TRIED* to join in but when I chased him he got scared and hid..but just for a few seconds, then he came charging out, jumped over MOwMOw (using him a springboard) and onto the bed meowing so I had to flip him onto his back and tickle his little chubby belly..before I ran off again.

If that's what she's after it's great fun (and great excercise)!

You could try using a wand toy to coax her out or if she's hiding run out of the room and hide somewhere for her to find. I love hiding someplace silly (like behind the shower curtain) and calling the cats. They look and look and look until I jump out and cry "GOtcha" then they get all excited and start racing around like nuts.

I know, crazy cat lady.

Last edited by MowMow; 09-26-2011 at 07:47 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 09:48 AM
Senior Cat

Mine do this all the time. It means it's chase time! You have a playful little one on your hands
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 10:17 AM
Tom Cat

Send a message via MSN to LaurulFeatherCat
My Apache Cat does this all the time. She doesn't want me to chase her, she wants me to let her jump up on me. Once up on me, I drape her over my left shoulder and go back to typing on the forum while she purrs on my shoulder. She also likes it when I nuzzle her with my chin while she is on my shoulder.

Velcro also comes to me when I am on the forum and "brits" at me until I put my hand down for her to rub against. Then I stop and give her scratches and talk to her and when she has had enough attention, she walks away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page