questions about my kitten... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

questions about my kitten...

hello catForum, I recently adopted my first cat, a 12 week calico named Liame. everything is super great now but here are some questions among many to come

I have not yet pin pointed the trigger, but some time when she is on her feet, she will open her mouth and start to...kind of meow, but sound more like "AAh" then her lower jaw will shake up and down. rapidly

I have heard and saw she meow, and it doesn't look nor sound like it. I'm wondering what is that she want when she does this...

also about her heart beat rate, or the rate her betty pumps when she is relaxed laying in my arms. it's pretty high, sometimes like twice every second, is this normal?

thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 10:40 PM
Banned

120-140 is normal for a cat.
Is she making a clicking sound with her jaw?
None of my cats have ever done it but I've seen videos and some cats do it when they see prey.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

ahh, yes this might explain it. She was probably seeing some tiny moths flying around... and ladybugs on the screen door, I've been seeing a lot of ladybugs on the balcony, strange

however, why would they be that vocal in the presence of a prey, won't this just scare them away...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 11:20 PM
Senior Cat

That kind of chattering is very common for cats when they are watching something they would like to chase and catch.

It is "lady bug" season. They are not really lady bugs, they are Asian Lady Beetles, and real pests. Some homes (such as mine) get them by the thousands (a day) this time of year, and they live in the walls and ceiling and breed all winter long, so I have to vacuum them by the thousands (daily) just to live in my apartment.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 11:21 PM
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by eckndu View Post
... why would they be that vocal in the presence of a prey, won't this just scare them away...
I could be wrong, but the clicking, or sometimes chirping sound is to mimic a bird or something to get them closer.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 08:36 AM
Banned

I had a cat that did that when she was watching birds at the window.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 11:18 AM
Tom Cat

3 of my 5 do the chirping sound at the birds and squirrels that live in the trees outside my window. It's entertaining to watch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

thank you all for your replies, here is an other question: (I dont want to spam new threads with my noob questions)

what is considered the normal color of her paws? i can see the natural color is pink, but it's starting to get dirty, and turning dark/black. I couldn't simply rub the dirt off, even with lukewarm water. is this considered normal?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 12:48 AM
Premier Cat

With a calico, yes....not unusual to have some paw pads dark, and some pink. It iseems to go with the "white spotting gene".

Last edited by marie73; 10-13-2011 at 03:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page