My Siamese boy is Annoyed by a new arrival - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

My Siamese boy is Annoyed by a new arrival

My just-turned 9 month-old Siamese boy is perturbed by a new arrival (16 week old female Siamese kitten). After my boy lost two feline companions in a short space of time, I noticed that he acted lethargic and exhibited unusual behaviors (scratching the walls, biting and scratching me as if I were another cat, laying inactive on the floor for hours). So I adopted a 16 week old kitten thinking this would perk up his spirits. When she was brought in the door the day before yesterday, his eyes lit up and he meowed for her to put down with him. He played with her for hours and fell asleep with her in a chair. But yesterday and today, his attitude seems to have changed. Whenever I pet her or coo at her, he stares at me from across the room and flicks his tail angrily. He doesn't pay attention to her anymore and when she tries to play with him, he pins her down and scares her off. He will let her rub against him sometimes but he never licks her or snuggles with her. He used to let me hold him for up to 10 minutes and purr the whole time and snuggle with me on my shoulder. Now, whenever I hold him his body goes tense and he springs out of my arms after a moment or two. He doesn't talk as often and he sits on the kitten's new blanket as if to block her from using it (maybe I'm attributing too much human perception to that act?) Sometimes, he'll stare at me with what looks like hurt in his eyes and I feel really bad. I thought that bringing a new companion into the house would help him revert back to his old playful self. His old feline friends were both females, so a female kitten seemed like the perfect fit. I am away during the day, so I figured he could use the company as well. From the looks of it, though, he is hurt that I brought a new cat into the house. Does it sound that way from how I've described his behavior? How can I make him feel more at ease? I just want him to know he's still loved as much as ever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 11:55 PM
Cat

He'll get over it. Make sure to pay him lots of attention without the other around. One of my favourites had a fit when I brought a new kitten in. He wouldn't have anything to do with me for 2 months. I really had to beg! I forced him to let me hold him. He finally came around and realized that he was still number one for me! Best of luck!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 01:21 AM
Premier Cat

First of all, you didn't do a proper introduction of your new girl to your Siamese boy. And though he appeared keen on her at first he's put out over the attention she's getting. So go back to square one and start over.

Here's an excellent website on how to do a proper introduction:
Living Together - Introducing a New Cat

Right now your cat is jealous of this young girl getting attention from you. So I would pay extra attention to your boy away from her. Play with him and give him treats and lots of loving. If she's gradually introduced to him, I think the love for you will return. He's just had his nose put 'out of joint'. But with lots of loving he should eventually come around as he was before in his own time, but you will have to show lots of patience. Let us know how it goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 03:17 AM
Super Moderator

How is he getting along with her? I wouldn't leave them alone together while you're not home. It's not too late to start over, here's a link by my future husband, Jackson Galaxy:

Cat-to-Cat Introductions | Little Big Cat

Pictures would be nice.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page