Scratching! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Scratching!

Hi can anyone tell me how i can stop my bambam from scratching everything? We've used everything we can think off. Hes ruined the wallpaper in kitchen and we've had to replace the furniture in lounge. He's now starting in my bedroom lol.

He's got a scratching post but refuses to use it

Can anyone help?

Thank you x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 12:23 PM
Premier Cat

Do you trim his nails? I would also try rubbing some catnip on the scratching post adn when you SEE him hanging around it and especially using it praise him and give him his favorite treats.

That's worked so far for Shep. Book.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 12:25 PM
Tom Cat

It would be a good idea to start trying a variety of scratchers in different textures and configurations. Different cats like different textures - also some may prefer vertical surfaces to horizontal ones, or curved surfaces to flat. There are many scratchers commercially available - sisal, carpet, corrugated cardboard, etc. You can try scratchers that are upright, angled, or just laying horizontally on the floor.

When you catch your cat scratching somewhere he shouldn't, move him to somewhere he CAN scratch, and put his paws on that. If you have a small scratching post, make sure it is sturdy; a smaller vertical scratching post may not be stable and may tip a bit when the cat stretches it's full length - cats may not like this - so try to make sure your scratching surfaces are just as stable as human furniture. The first thing to work it out though, is to find a surface your cat can't resist - most of the time, they will prefer a sisal/carpet/cardboard cat scratcher to your couch, if you can just find your cat's favorite. Reward and praise when he uses his scratcher on his own, and redirect him to it when he wants to scratch somewhere else.

Last edited by SomeRandomChick; 10-17-2011 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 02:21 PM
Cat Addict

I totally agree with somerandomchick who's stated a lot of good solutions.

I found that Cap'n Jack likes horizontal vs vertical while Miu likes either one. I got a mutltude of scratchers of sisal or cardboard, vertical and horizontal scattered throughout the house.

I also had to teach Jack where to scratch because at first he had no idea, just started scratching on the carpeting. I would go over to the scratching posts or boards once in a while and scratch for him. Watched me and also he watched Miu. He picked it up after a while.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 03:53 PM
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBam2009 View Post

He's got a scratching post but refuses to use it

Can anyone help?

Thank you x
Many scratching posts
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

I caught him scratching the sofa today so picked him up and put him to the scratching post like told too and he looked at me as wht on earth you doing.. I bought him some crab sticks (his fav) been giving him some when he doing good so seems to be working already thanks ever so much for all your help had this prob for 2 and a half years now lol. And jst like that sorted.. Even wasted 60 on 2 sprays at vets which never worked lol.

Will give an update on his behaviour
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 07:01 PM
Banned

If he likes catnip rub catnip on the scratching post, also when he uses the scratching post praise and reward him
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 01:14 AM
Tom Cat

I had the same problem before. The scratched our sofa so much that the fabric was hanging out of the corners! Since joining this forum, I've learned to redirect him when he's not in the right place and rewarding him when he's right and now the problem is all sorted!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 01:19 AM
Banned

Besides the scratching post I have a plywood cube that I covered with carpet, I spray it and the scratching post with "Kong" Catnip spray.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page