Help! Not sure what's wrong with kitten. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Help! Not sure what's wrong with kitten.

Everything was fine today, until it started raining and a thunder fell relatively close to the house (the noise was somewhat loud, but not insanely so). Ever since then the kitten has been hiding (I couldn't get to him at first, since he hid under the sink), with his tail tucked between his legs, and even if I pick him up, he doesn't react and goes back to hiding as soon as possible when I let him go.

He's been like this for over an hour and is now hiding under our bed. It's just so strange because he was so extremely affectionate to me (as normal) just this morning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 11:01 AM
Cat

Is it always really quiet in the house. When I first got Max a few weeks ago he got completely freaked out when I ran the dishwasher or tried to use the blowdryer. Any little noise made him hide. I thought about it and I think it's because the house was always so quiet. I started leaving the TV on when I am not home or the radio. He's gotten used to the different noises and can tolerate them without hiding now.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

That's not it. He's used to the noise, sure he doesn't like the vaccum cleaner, but any other noise, he didn't seem to have a problem with.

I still haven't managed to coach him from under the bed. (can't reach him either)

Last edited by marie73; 10-19-2011 at 11:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 11:53 AM
Tom Cat

How old is he? Has he been through thunder storms before? Thunder can sound pretty loud and terrifying if you're not used to it and don't know what it is. Some animals do get stressed out by it, and if your kitten is pretty young, and especially if he hasn't been home with you very long, he probably just needs some time to warm back up and come out in the open.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

He's about 4 months old and has been with me for around one month a half now.

A while after posting this, he came out from under the bed, but seems to be terrified of the living room (where he usually is), and is still acting rather "off".

Last edited by marie73; 10-19-2011 at 11:20 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 02:56 PM
Premier Cat

In the case of thunder I don't think it's JUST the sound (although that's terrfying for lots of animals). ALong with it comes a change in scent of the air, barometer changes and temperature changes. I think he's just traumatized, give him time and kind of move along with your day like nothing happened.

The more upset YOU seem the more he's going to be convinced there's a reason to be afraid, imo. When my guys get scared of something I laugh it up like "Woah! Did you guys HEAR THAT!" and then just move on.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 10:37 PM
Kitten

Im exactly the same with my bambam. Any loud noises he doesnt like (binmen) He gets terrified and runs for the stairs but i get to him before he can, pick him and talk to him takes his mind off the window and watchin and hearing the binmen lol.

When it first happened i was quite worried cause he went into hiding. But eventually came out. I mentioned to another cat owner and i was told to leave him and not be worried myself as animals can pick tht up and make THEM more worried.. Now every monday when binmen come i listen for them up the street, get bambam, go to the window with him in my arms, pet and talk to him, he now getting used to that fact their not going to hurt him.

I would leave ur kitten to come to you, he'll know when he's safe
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 01:03 AM
Premier Cat

You should try enticing your kitty into play in the livingroom with an interactive toy or dragging around a cord or string. Also rub some catnip into his toys or scratching post. Even let him eat a little as it's a mild sedative. Another thing to try is habituation, that is condition him to the sound of thunder from a nature CD that has thunder sounds on it. Or next time, it rains and may thunder just put on some loud rock music! My girl used to be scared of thunder, but she's pretty much grown out of that now and ignores it, so cats can change.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 01:58 AM
Cat

Leave him alone. He'll come out when he's ready. As you spend more time with him, you'll figure out things that make him feel safe and can prepare for the next storm. He needs some time to compose himself and interrupting it will just lengthen his process. Go tell him a quick it's ok and then sit on the couch or go to bed. Be where he can reach you when he's ready for some reassurance and comfort.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page