When is enough, enough? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Cat

When is enough, enough?

I'm sorry in advance for the long post! So, my boys usually get along pretty well. They're a little over a year old, adopted together as "brothers" but no real proof of an actual relationship. Once and awhile, Alex will jump on Sammy "playing" too rough, or so I've thought. Sammy cries but doesn't really fight back and will run away when released. Sometimes that's as bad as it gets and sometimes they hiss and growl and cry very loudly. I've tried letting them do their thing hoping that they would teach each other that the other is playing too hard but I don't know any more if it's really "playing." And now Alex has scratches down his nose from two different times when Sammy has swiped him after Alex cornered him. Plus, with my mess I can't find my nail trimmers and I know they're both overdue for a trimming : ( I'm not sure what to do. I've tried separating them but with the infestation issues I've had, I can't let them in my bedroom and my bathroom is full of the bags to sort through and inspect so I really don't have anywhere to put one of them. They both ignore me if I try to make noises to distract them or use my handy compressed air hissing can. And if I try to walk between them, Sammy just follows Alex around, the little antagonist. Is this a case to let them work it out? When is this kind of "aggression" too much? Is it possible to teach them not to do this and how? This didn't used to happen very often but now it's once or twice every couple nights. This escalation is part of what has me concerned. If anyone has any suggestions I would very much appreciate it.
Thanks!
Julie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 11:02 PM
Cat

I hope someone has a suggestion for you. I had an agressive cat who liked to attack my female siamese. I tried to retrain him. He knew he wasn't suppose to do it, but the temptation was just too strong. I had to end up making sure that they were never long in the same room together. The siamese has passed away, and he is old and getting frail. My new siamese doesn't like him and I have to keep her from attacking him at times. I guess it's payback time! She actually is getting use to him though. His agression with age has decreased. He no longer is agressive. I wish you luck.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 11:25 AM
Tom Cat

you can buy another pair of nail trimmers for 2 bucks at your local drug store. I use "human" fingernail clippers and they work fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Valentine - I am glad your cat has settled down.
Thanks for the suggestion Mimitabby. Luckily, after packing away stuff, I found them.
Does anyone have any behavioral suggestions?

Thanks!
Julie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page