Kitty not covering his poo!!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Kitty not covering his poo!!!

I've had Milky (7 m.o.) for 2 months now. When he first came home he was very good with the litter, we didn't even have to teach him how to do anything, he just knew to dig and cover his poo.

Recently, for maybe the past 2 weeks, he's started to poo and leave without covering it with the litter. Is there anything I can do to change him back to his old ways
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 01:08 AM
Banned

Some cats when they have had soft poo in the past won't cover it because they don't want to get it on their paws.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 01:24 AM
Premier Cat

It's true what cooncatbob says, cats don't like to get poo on their paws. They lick their paws and then use them to wash their cheeks and face...nope, definitely do not like getting it on their paws.
Another reason may be that the litter is a bit too deep. If it's clumping clay litter or regular clay litter and it's too deep it can be too heavy to move around. My girl doesn't like to cover her poo if the litter is more than 2-1/2 in. deep.
Sometimes if you change litter, they may be ok with it for a while and then decide they don't like it after all. I switched to Sweat Scoop, my boy had no problem with it, but my girl after 2 wks. refused to cover and then started doing it outside the box, tho she was ok to pee in it. So I went back to clumping clay litter and she's ok with it unless I put a bit too much in. You might try "Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract Litter". That might get him covering it again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Thanks for the info!

I'm thinking maybe the clumping litter is a bit too deep then, as I haven't switched types since he's been with us. I'll try taking some out tonight and see if there's any change...
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 10:10 AM
Cool Cat

I think it's pure behavior, not necessarily the soft poo issue. My Meatball has exactly the same problem, and her poo is perfectly normal. I remember when she was a kitten she did cover her poo, though not covered perfectly. She then covered less and less, like one scratch or so. Now, as soon as she finishes her business in the box, she dashes out as fast as she can and never goes back. She is using the same litter, same depth all the time. And she never eliminate outside box. So I guess she just doesn't like the smell. Meatball is such a Diva

My Metoo, in contrast, covers perfectly. Sometimes I have to DIG to find her poo. If Meatball just finished in the box and Metoo passes by, Metoo will even jump in and cover for Meatball. I have no idea how to teach Meatball to cover her own mess. Fortunately her poo doesn't smell very bad, so it's not causing a lot discomfort

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 04:10 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by yingying View Post
I think it's pure behavior, not necessarily the soft poo issue. My Meatball has exactly the same problem, and her poo is perfectly normal. I remember when she was a kitten she did cover her poo, though not covered perfectly. She then covered less and less, like one scratch or so. Now, as soon as she finishes her business in the box, she dashes out as fast as she can and never goes back.

I was also guessing that it might be a behaviour problem... My Milky is exactly how you described Meatball. His poo is normal but no idea why he only partially covers/doesn't cover the poo. Last night I got home to partially covered poo. I don't think there's any specific time/reason he won't cover it, he just covers it when he feels like it! Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions???
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 11:13 AM
Cool Cat

I would say, as long as the kitty is using the box, if he doesn't like to cover the poo, then so be it, big deal. I don't want to "train" Meatball to cover her poo, because I'm afraid my "training" may make her stop using the box. As I mentioned, Meatballs poo doesn't smell (I can smell a little when she just finishes, but after 5 min or so its gone), so it's not very disturbing behaviour. I would rather spend time searching for ways to minimize the smell, rather than teaching the kitty to cover his/her poo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

That's true, better to cover the smell than cause him to stop using it!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 12:30 PM
Cat Addict

Miu does the same thing. She covered good when she was a kitten then suddenly just stopped and had a poop outside the box prob. I had to resort to drastic measures to change this.

She now does her thing then she would scratch at odd places like on the wall behind the litterbox or right beside it (I think she's lost a few cat marbles). After that, she just runs off wildly, leaving the poop uncovered.

I say whatever. She had a poop outside the box problem and now I'm just so thankful she's doing it in the box that I don't care at all if she covers or not. She's trained to poop after her bedtime snack and I scoop it up immediately anyways.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Got home last night and he covered his poo 90% so I'm just gonna let it go!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page