Bathing a new kitten - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Bathing a new kitten

Hello all!

I am bringing my first kitten home this weekend. I know re-homing a cat is stressful, especially since we'll have to do a 2 hour drive... I'd like to make the kitty as comfortable as possible. The problem is that the breeder's home smells strongly of urine, and I don't know if the kitten will smell too. In case if she does, I'd like to give her a bath just to make sure she is clean, but don't want to cause unnecessary stress. Do you recommend doing it right when we get home and let her adjust after, or let her get used to the new place and then stress her out again by bathing? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 01:59 PM
Nan
Cool Cat

I'd let her get used to your new place for a few days. It will be scary enough for her.

Maybe the breeder's place smelled of urine because there were lots of cats and uncleaned litter boxes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Yes, she has a bunch of cats in her home. Maybe the smell will air out of the kitten's fur and it won't be a problem at all. Certainly don't want to stress her out too much...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 02:19 PM
Cool Cat

I don't think it's a good idea to bath your kitten right when she arrives. First of all, kittens are vulnerable to many virus and bacterias. She need to be strong to fight for the "things" that are not in her previous home. Adding the stress of big changes in, you don't want to make her even weaker by giving her a bath. If she catches a cold or has a diarrhea, that would be a disaster. Second, she is already stressful. Giving her a bath now may make her link the bath with all the upsetting thing. This will make it even more difficult to bath her few months later.

So I think you should leave her alone for at least 2-3 weeks. Don't change her diet, don't change her litter, don't do things so drastic like bath. If you are concerned about the smell, you can try using a towel damped by warm water and rub on her. You can even add a bit of (scentless) baby powder.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by yingying; 10-26-2011 at 02:22 PM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 02:42 PM
Cat Addict

I also don't think it's a good idea to bathe her upon arrival. She already has too many things to get used to like a new environment, new people, new litter or even food etc. It's already pretty stressful.

In your mind, it's dirty, but she's a cat. When she's feeling calmer, she'll start grooming herself.

Again, altho you may think it's pitiful, you might want to start her off by confining her in a small room upon arrival, then work your way up to full freedom. Depending on her personality, she may feel overwhelmed. Unlike humans, cats feel calmer in small spaces. If you need more advice, just ask away.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Alright, thanks will wait with the bathing. Maybe she won't need one after all!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

When I picked up the twins, their new foster home (they were moved the night before from the foster home where I first met them) was AWFUL. Inside/outside dogs and cats and it smelled horrible. I was afraid she had ruined them.

But the twins themselves had no odor (or fleas, thank goodness!!!).

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 05:42 PM
Banned

When I picked up Mia from the Humane Society, she had a smell about her. I just wiped her down with scented baby wipes while I was holding and petting her. I gave her a bath the next week after she was more settled.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 11:19 PM
Super Moderator

The wipes are great advice, but I've read here and online that you should use unscented baby wipes on cats.

Quote:
....you can always use baby wipes, but make sure they are the kind that is unscented. Do not use any that have perfume or any scent on them at all. Your cat will lick their fur and if it is scented, this could cause them to get an upset tummy and that is not good for the cat.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 11:23 PM
Tom Cat

Or just go buy pet wipes. They are pet-friendly (of course), unscented and anti-allergenic. Well the ones I got are, at least!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page