How do cats know about things we change when they are not around? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Cat

How do cats know about things we change when they are not around?

My girls are wonders but I would love to know when things have happened when they are not around.

For example we have a bin in the bedroom - it is normally just ignored by the cats. However this morning I go to put on a sock and find a hole so I chuck it in the bin. A few hours later with no hesitation at all my Chloe goes straight to the bin knocks it over and starts proudly parading it around the house! She has not around to see me put it inthe bin - she just knows!

Another bin example. I was watching a weepy film and put my used tissues in the living room bin - cats were fast asleep on the bed at the time! The next thing I know Chloe is in the living room the bin is knocked over and she is proudly playing with the tissues - how does she know!

My other girl is just as bad. It was cold a few days ago so I dug out my gloves and put them in my bag ready for work the next day. Now Toshi never goes in my bag normally but some time between me packing my bag and me having cold hands in the morning the little monster had stolen my gloves! When I got home I found them hidden under the table. Within 5 mins of them being returned to my bag she had stolen them again - still very cute watching her carry them!

Anyway how to cats know about things which happen when they are not around? I find it so confusing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 06:00 PM
Cat Addict

The clue is their wonderful sense of smell, I would guess!

That, plus famous curiosity and the fact that they wander around at all hours, at floor level, table-top level, book shelf level etc. etc. .... !

Fran
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 06:45 PM
Tom Cat

I think they have an extra kitty sense, lol. They just knoooow. You can't beat that crazy curiosity.. Haha.

It's usually quite the opposite for me - Apollo will hide things and steal things and I'm left wondering if I put these things out of the way from him.... Like my hair ties that he managed to collect in an unused closet corner.. That little turd. The best is when I put a bottle of water down on the floor so that it doesn't ruin my coffee table, and I go to reach for it and it's GONE. Come to find out it's under my bed with 3 empty bottles that he has stolen from me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page