Leg grabbing/digging in getting worse. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Leg grabbing/digging in getting worse.

Toby is 16 weeks. Just this week his leg grabbing and digging his claws in has gotten worse.

He used to let go with my high pitch yelp or NO. But lately he's not quite as responsive. I have had to swing down with whatever I had in my hand to get him off. I hated doing this but he was really staring to grab on and made me really scream in real pain.

Fortunately my swatting at him (and hitting him) did not affect his affection towards me or make him shy away. After his startled-ness wore off he was ready to play again and was following me around.

I know I can't be hitting him but I can't have him doing this either. What else have you tried
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 10:37 PM
Cat

Firmly but gently grab him by the scruff. It should make him let go. Then walk away. Too rough = no play. Also if you're still rough housing with him, stop.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Divine Miss M View Post
.. Also if you're still rough housing with him, stop.
Yeah, I stopped that last week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 10:42 PM
Tom Cat

Shake your leg til he loses his grip and lets go. You could try scruffing him instead of swatting at him/hitting him. At least enough to get him off of you, then just walk away and go about your business.

Does he do it when he's in super play mode? Or just at random?

Apollo still takes off with a running start and latches onto my leg. If I don't get him off me, it's literally like carrying a small child around on your leg. I usually shake my leg or keep walking and he eventually let's go, but if his nails are out and he's really latched on, I'll snap next to his face and tell him "no!" and it usually startles him enough to let go and I can walk away without issue.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 10:44 PM
Premier Cat

I'm not sure how anyone else feels about this but when Shepherd Book has been *REALLY* bad( for example he went through this phase of using me as a climbing tree to reach things he wanted ) I've scruffed him, looked into his face and said sternly "NO! OUCH!" and then dropped him (gently) onto the floor (I'm only 5' tall so it's not a long drop).

I've had to do this maybe 3 times in the two months I've had him. It really reinforced the "NO" and "OUCH" words to him.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenanigans View Post
Shake your leg til he loses his grip and lets go. You could try scruffing him instead of swatting at him/hitting him. At least enough to get him off of you, then just walk away and go about your business.

Does he do it when he's in super play mode? Or just at random?
Here in Phoenix it's almost always shorts weather, so he's on my bare leg and the pain is so bad that anything that takes too much time, like shaking him loose or scruffing, is really hard to do die to the pain he's inflicting. It's like when you grab something hot and have to throw it down immediately without thinking. (yes, I keep his nails trimmed)

It's not during play. It that random attack and grab - I'm sure you all know what I mean.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

He's really very good and well behaved and doesn't show any aggression. I can pet him everywhere, hold his paws, rub his belly. He follows me around, loves being pet, Let me take his toys unless we're tugging on a stuffed sock, let's me interrupt his eating ( I just tested this a few time, it's not something I do)

So I'm not worried about an aggressive cat, just need to stop this (hopefully) short term behavior
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 11:35 PM
Cat

Wear pants and scruff until he learns the lesson. I live in south Texas. It's currently a chilly 90 degrees so I feel your pain, but you gotta do what you gotta do.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 11:42 PM
Cat

Forgot to add - I get that your reaction is instinct, but he's getting your attention in a BIG way by doing the undesired behavior. If you scruff, and walk away he is losing your attention. Also I wouldn't shake him off. It could trigger his instincts and make him dig in deeper to avoid "falling."
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 11:49 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Divine Miss M View Post
Also I wouldn't shake him off. It could trigger his instincts and make him dig in deeper to avoid "falling."
This
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page