Kitten proofing advice - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Kitten proofing advice

Hi everyone,

I will hopefully be getting a pair of Sphynx kittens soon, if not at the beginning of December then hopefully soon thereafter. It has been awhile since I have had a kitten, not as long since a puppy, but I know a kitten is an entirely different ballgame and I want to be ready. What advice do you have that should not be forgotten? Or any tips that you hadn't heard anywhere else that you could share? Anything and everything pre kitten arrival that you think I should do, I would love to hear. I like to be very thorough when I do things.

Also, I have a few concerns and want to know what other people do about them. The first is cords. While I do not have an excessive amount of exposed cords, I do live in the modern world and make use of various electronics. Are kittens prone to chewing cords? Does that mean they could be shocked when I am out and not supervising? I have read spraying them with bitter apple, but does anyone else have a suggestion?

Anything kitten related you want to share from stories to advice, I am ready to hear it! Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 10:09 AM
Cat

My first two cats didnt care about coords at all. But Max is a different story, he is amazed at what is behind the TV and computer, and he likes outlets, so I went to the babystore and got plastic plugs for all outlets that have nothing plugged into them. I went to home depo and got some very cheap flexible kinda tubbing that I put all my TV and computer cables through. He opens cabinets, so I got baby latches for that. He also figured out that my closet opens when he runs into it (has magenets) so I used a rubber band on the handles. He cant go behind the refrigerator anymore, so i removed the box i had put there to block his path. I also removed all plants cause they thought they were kitty litter containers. And I removed the plug in air freshners cause i was afraid that they would try to play with them and lick them. I never used the bitter stuff, but I did put some catnip spray on his kitty tower and he goes to that and scratches it. I think every cat is different, and two kittens will likely plan things better
Also kittens like to trip you on staircases. never carry laundry thinking he is behind you...
lots of luck
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 10:27 AM
Nan
Cool Cat

Keep your floors clean. They are like toddlers and will try to eat any little thing left on the floor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 12:20 PM
Premier Cat

When I brought Shepherd Book home I just made sure that the floors were picked up and the counters were kept clean.

Then I dealt with stuff as he got into it. He's a trash stealer (loves bits of paper) so I got covered trash cans in the bathroom/office.

When he first got to me he wasn't that great about personal hygiene so I put an old sheet over the bed where he liked to sit (So I wouldn't have to wash the little damp 'privates' print off my bedspread daily)...thankfully he's learned to groom himself.

He knocks over ANYTHING on my bedside table so I cleared it off until he learns that "NO!" really does mean "NO!". (we're @ about 80% of the time on that)

One good thing..... if there's anything small enough for him to carry that I've lost (batteries, pen caps, toothpaste lids...etc) he'll find it!

Note: Wondercat is right, practice your kitten shuffle now. Walking in a shuffling gate where your feet only come about 1/4 an inch off the ground and the steps are freakishly long to push small furry bodies out of your way as you walk.

Last edited by MowMow; 11-03-2011 at 12:22 PM. Reason: :to add note.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 12:25 PM
Premier Cat

wondercat has given some great suggestions. I would add that anything like string, thread, dental floss (yes they will find it in the bathroom waste basket), ribbon, elastics if ingested could cause intestinal blockage which is an expen$ive surgery. My girl Alkee has a thing for chewing shoelaces. So far I've been lucky but she chewed off one of my hubby's shoes recently and it was in her stomach for 10 days before she barfed it up. Occasionally she has passed one. So I have to be vigilant about any shoes with laces being put away. She learned to open our sliding door in our foyer to get at shoes, so now we have to put a stick in it. When she was teething she liked to chew wires, and I found the Bitter Apple sprayed on them deterred her from that. A cardboard box makes a good teether.

Also, any little things that could be swallowed should not be left on floors or tables or within their reach. Good luck!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 01:02 PM
Cat

Oh I forgot, also be very careful on selecting where the litter box will be, when we moved into the new house I put it next to the boiler room, when the boiler came on it made a LOUD bang and it scared the kitties and made them get scared of their litter box... that was fun. And if you have blinds, tie ou the strings out of reach .
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 05:41 PM
Cat

Kyra can open every single closet door in the apartment, so we have loop ties on all the doors. A piece of string with a loop tied at both ends of it, we put the loop over one door knob, loop it over the second knob(double sliding doors on every closet) and bring it back putting the second loop on the first knob. works like a charm. I am terrified what bad habits Tucker will have as he grows. LOL

Oh, and if there is a peacock feather ANYWHERE in the apartment, she will find it. Even if it is in a Kyra proof closet.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 05:51 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondercat View Post
And if you have blinds, tie ou the strings out of reach .

personally i would remove blinds with strings completely. I moved into a rental once when Sherbert was young, tied up the string to a good safe height. And one day walked in and found he had made a flying leap from a random piece of furniture and got tangled in the string, If it had not been wrapped around a leg as well as his neck, I would not have had a cat.. he was just hanging there.. scared the cr*p outta me.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 08:25 PM
Cat

On the blinds; Kyra has destroyed many. So don't think the string is the only thing to worry about. She noms on the slats, bends them, whatever. They don't need a reason for these things, they are cats.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks for all the advice, guys, some of the stories made me smile. Definitely writing this all down and committing it to memory.

Keep it coming if it is out there
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page