Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cobourg, Ontario, Canada
wondercat has given some great suggestions. I would add that anything like string, thread, dental floss (yes they will find it in the bathroom waste basket), ribbon, elastics if ingested could cause intestinal blockage which is an expen$ive surgery. My girl Alkee has a thing for chewing shoelaces. So far I've been lucky but she chewed off one of my hubby's shoes recently and it was in her stomach for 10 days before she barfed it up. Occasionally she has passed one. So I have to be vigilant about any shoes with laces being put away. She learned to open our sliding door in our foyer to get at shoes, so now we have to put a stick in it. When she was teething she liked to chew wires, and I found the Bitter Apple sprayed on them deterred her from that. A cardboard box makes a good teether.
Also, any little things that could be swallowed should not be left on floors or tables or within their reach. Good luck!