Poopy McPoopPants - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Question Poopy McPoopPants

I know that I’ve been posting a lot, but I’m just thrilled to have found a source of thoughts/ideas/advice/support for me and my kitties.

Today’s question is about my newest kitten, Archie.

He still has a bit of runny stool going on and at this point in time, he gets it EVERYWHERE! The two main spots are the tip of his tail and his legs. Just to note, the diarrhea is getting better with each day and the vet gave him a clean bill of health.

I know that since he’s only 3 months old, that he is far from graceful when it comes to litter duty (and his kinked tail doesn’t help at all)…so my question to you is: has anyone who has/had a kitten gone through this? And how long did it take for them to really master the litterbox?

The litterbox is scooped 2-3 times each day and is kept sparkling clean. However, I end up having to run his tail and leg(s) under the faucet almost every day (he’s very good about letting me do this) and mop/clean up the skid marks that he leaves when he drags his poopy tail around the apartment. I’ve started to lovingly call him Poopy McPoopPants.

He’s a good boy – I never scold him, I just calmly rinse him off (when needed) and hope for a better day tomorrow.

And just so this wasn’t a post all about poop, I’ve attached a photo of the hairy-eared offender.

Any input would be wonderful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	archie1.jpg
Views:	638
Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	3726  

Last edited by marie73; 11-17-2011 at 10:23 PM. Reason: font size
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 02:39 PM
Premier Cat

He'll get better at it. My ex husband's cat was a bottle baby and when we were litter training him... oy. He got more ON him than he did in the litter. We did the same thing, just kept rinsing him off and moving on with our day.

I swear when he grew up he was MORE careful, just so he wouldn't get watered down anymore.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 02:48 PM
Premier Cat

Sorry, I don't have anything constructive to say about your situation, but just wanted to say thanks for the big laugh on your subject, Poopy McPoopPants. Awesome.

Holly and Murphy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 08:00 PM
Tom Cat

I agree with MowMow that he just needs time to learn how to poo cleanly. His digestive system should improve with a little more time too and once his stool firms up he won't be as messy in the litterbox as now (since it won't be so sticky). Between his longish hair, loose stool, and inexperience with manners, he's got a lot to work out. It's not at all unusual for a new kitten to have some diarrhea with the stress of the environment change, and especially if he's recently been wormed/vaccinated, and/or if you are switching his food. (I believe you mentioned earlier you haven't had him all that long and that he has a clean bill of health from the vet, which is why I'm guessing it's just temporary and not a health concern.) I'm sure the mess will improve significantly as his stool firms up. And as he learns how to avoid the frequent mini baths.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 10:12 PM
Tom Cat

Milky also used to get a bit of poop stuck on his tail/legs/bum then we learned how to shave the fur down a bit near his bum so he wouldn't have this problem. It's working out great now!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 10:32 PM
Banned

Many long haired cats do better if they have potty patch trimmed around the back door, I can tell you from 1st hand experience that soft poop can get matted in the long fur causing a blockage, prevention is much better then trimming poop matted fur from kitties butt.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 12:51 AM
Premier Cat

I agree with cooncatbob that "prevention is much better than trimming poop-matted fur". For many years I had longhair cats, and alway trimmed at least 1in. diameter around the anus with blunt-nose moustache scissors and trimmed back any britches that were in the way.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Thanks for all of your input! Nigel (my 22 month old Ragdoll) is a medium haired cat, so I have experience with keeping his bum area nice and trimmed up to avoid any pooping disasters.

My issue with Archie isn’t that he is getting poop on his because of his long hair, it’s because he’s bumbling around in the litterbox, stepping in it and dragging his tail in it when he attempts to bury his deposit. I’ve been keeping him nice and trim as well to help – but he just doesn’t have the gracefulness that an older cat has when it comes to litter duty.

I’ve talked to a few people and it seems that it’s around 7 months old when a kitten really starts to master the box.

At least he’s using the box – so really…I can’t complain. I just feel bad for having to rinse him off 2 times a day because he’s covered in poo. We’ll keep working on it and until then, I just remain calm and help him on his way.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by October View Post
Sorry, I don't have anything constructive to say about your situation, but just wanted to say thanks for the big laugh on your subject, Poopy McPoopPants. Awesome.
That's our official nickname for him, although last night...my husband started calling him "Big Foot, Little Foot" since it seems like he's so clumsy in the litterbox.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 03:59 PM
Kitten

I know I've said this before but try the Clumperdumper for removing clumps. I thought I was doing a really great job and still my guys had "issues" then my vet said that even really small pea-sized clumps that can break off when you're scooping put some cats off. I found this item (the clumperdumper) online and it's very easy and very fast and gets everything. Much more so than a regular scoop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page